Any suggestions on how to solve our frostbite problem?

I do the same!  The last place I lived had extension cords strung through 6 apples trees and then over to the coop and this place has it strung from the house to 2-3 trees and then it runs along the ground the rest of the way, ties into a junction so that I can plug in my dog's electric system and then travels along to the coop.  The coop is about 100 yd or so from the house. 

It's worth it and the cords last many years.  I love having electric to the coop! 

I did run it to one pen but I have bad memories of water hoses and lawn mowers! LOL ...and I did get that cord wound up in the leaf catcher when the last coop was being built. Opppps! hahahaha

We keep ours up all year round and just mow around them. They lie in an area of the lawn that doesn't get mowed frequently so it's easy. Also good to have brightly colored cords....neon orange or green are good. The new ones I'll be putting up this week are neon green.

You have to have electricity if just for the waterer alone,it makes things alot easier.I can't imagine bringing water out there several times a day because it's frozen.

My chickens live in a very drafty barn and have never suffered from frost bite. The wind chill was recently 34 below.:thumbsup

We live in New Hampshire and we have a very large walk-in run for our flock of 15 chickens. The run has a plastic clear roof and chicken wire on the sides. It is protected on 4 sides by various structures including a retaining wall on one side and the coop itself on another side. Additionally we have placed tarp over any exposed walls during the winter months. We keep the door to the coop open year round since it can only be accessed from the run which we secure nightly with a locked door. We have had some very cold temperatures here this winter (-15 degrees Fahrenheit) and every morning I expect to see some of the chickens suffering from the ill effects. Ironically enough, NONE of the chickens choose to roost inside the insulated coop. They all choose to roost in the run high up where we have built roosting poles. The run is not insulated and only protected by the structures I mentioned and the tarps on the exposed walls. They experience the full effect of the low temperatures in the run but no moisture or wind. NONE of our chickens have ANY evidence of frost bite. We have winter hardy breeds and they are all doing great. So it really is true that they only need proper ventilation. The low temperature is NOT an issue for our chickens.

I've heard a blurb or two that there may be another Polar Vortex in our near future....
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom