Any suggestions?

Chickenmama2017

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
Hello all. I've got a 2 year RIR hen that started wheezing Saturday morning. She also had loose stool. (The only "problems" I've ever had with her is that she lays really thin shell eggs. I've done the oyster shells to try to help that.) So back to the wheezing. I started her on 1/2 cc of Tylan 50 on Saturday. She got two doses Saturday and Sunday. Then 1cc daily since. I also have wormed her with safeguard just in case it's gape worms. I'm not sure though if I'm giving her enough of the wormer. Her comb is red and healthy looking. She's ate better today but the wheezing is still there. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, how much Safeguard and what's the best way to get that in her. Thanks for your help. :)

Welcome to BYC. It can be hard to know what type of problem they have with wheezing, whether it is a respiratory disease or what. Infectious bronchitis, the most common one, can cause fairly mild symptoms, such as sneezing, and some nasal or chest congestion. But it also can cause problems with egg shells, such as shell-less eggs, wrinkled shells, and other reproductive or kidney issues.

Have you seen any watery eyes, swelling around the face or an eye, or nasal drainage? Gapeworms are fairly rare, but can be diagnosed with a fecal test on some droppings by your vet. It causes severe gaping and arching of the neck, and serious respiratory distress. Give SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days. Give it orally, a little at a time until she swallows it. See post number 2 in this thread for Dawg53’s advice on giving medicine orally to a chicken:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-give-a-chicken-liquid-medicine.886914/

I would give her some human calcium with vitamin D once a day for several days. Tylan50 dosage is 1/4 ml orally 3 times a day for 5 days. I don’t give it in injection because of a risk of muscle damage.

Welcome to BYC. It can be hard to know what type of problem they have with wheezing, whether it is a respiratory disease or what. Infectious bronchitis, the most common one, can cause fairly mild symptoms, such as sneezing, and some nasal or chest congestion. But it also can cause problems with egg shells, such as shell-less eggs, wrinkled shells, and other reproductive or kidney issues.

Have you seen any watery eyes, swelling around the face or an eye, or nasal drainage? Gapeworms are fairly rare, but can be diagnosed with a fecal test on some droppings by your vet. It causes severe gaping and arching of the neck, and serious respiratory distress. Give SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound for 5 straight days. Give it orally, a little at a time until she swallows it. See post number 2 in this thread for Dawg53’s advice on giving medicine orally to a chicken:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-give-a-chicken-liquid-medicine.886914/

I would give her some human calcium with vitamin D once a day for several days. Tylan50 dosage is 1/4 ml orally 3 times a day for 5 days. I don’t give it in injection because of a risk of muscle damage.

Thanks for the info. I’ve not saw any swelling or watery eyes. I’ll continue giving her the safeguard and do the calcium and vitamin d. Thanks again!

It would be good to get a weight on her. You can weight yourself while holding her, then subtract your weight from that number to get a rough weight. Kitchen scales are good to weigh chickens as well. With the SafeGuard for 6 pound hen you would give 1.5 ml (0.25 ml per pound.)

Back
Top Bottom