any suggestions

profish

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
new to the byc and new to chicken ownership here is what we have so far for our coop its for 4 hens and 1 rooster let me know any improvements
coop= 8'wide 4'deep 6.5'tall with 2.5' under coop for shade
run= 12' long 8'wide 8' tall and under coop

Looks great! I can't tell for certain what you have used for the lower couple of feet of the run. Remember that chicken wire (even doubled up) is not very predator proof.

KJF

welcome-byc.gif
from Arkansas! I would tighten the wire up and make it more sturdy and predator proof, but other than that, it looks great! I love the size of it. You have done an excellent job!
thumbsup.gif
I'm sure you will love all the benefits of having chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

Great start there.
I would paint it all inside and out. It will make it last longer, repel odors, easier to clean, and brighten it for the ladies.
If you do paint it use a good primer so the paint sticks well.
I would also add linoleum to aid in cleaning the floor.
I have it in all my coops and it works wonderfully.
Home Depot usually has closeout linoleum pretty cheap.
Keep posting I would like to see how it comes along.

Paint! It will last longer and honestly... just make it that much more cuter! You did a great job on the coop itself! It's very cute! I think you might have trouble in the summer though-- you will need one more window or vent on the BACK side of your coop so that you can get cross ventilation. Otherwise, it's not going to stay very cool and there won't be much of a cross flow of air to keep it comfortable. I have windows on all sides of my coop except the West side-- because that is the hottest out here and would compound my heat problem.
wink.png
Also-- later in Fall, it might be a great idea to plant a tree next to it for shade. I'm planting honeysuckle on the outside of my run for good shade and wind coverage in the summer/winter. In our climate, the honeysuckle stays green in the winter with leaves and it blocks out snow and wind. Great stuff, and FAST growing for near instant protection.

Back
Top Bottom