Any tips on bonding with ducks?

shaylabailey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Rhode Island
I recently got 6 ducklings who are a couple weeks old - they're living outside and growing their feathers. I handle them each every day to get them accustomed to it but they still huddle in a corner when I walk into the coop. Any advice on how they can become friendly other than being handled daily?
hmm.png

We also started with 6 ducks. They do alright with bonding, however, they kinda bonded with each other more. I think if you really wanted a strong bond between you and the ducks it would be best with 1 or 2 ducklings. But what helps them trust you more is treats. Ours scramble for peas!

I agree with Eroc1_1, I have 2 adult ducks that are pretty friendly, the guy duck will follow me around let me pet him. But I recently hatched 5 ducklings from them, and they won't go anywhere without each other, and as soon as I try to pick them up or even just open the coop door they run.

I raised 3. They were ok with me being around, but never really welcomed being picked up. Then they hit that "You are evil and trying to kill us, stay far far far away from us" stage.
Blue, even as a duckling, was the friendliest. She'd sit and let you pet her even as an adult. I wish more of her personality had rubbed off on the other 2.
They aren't unfriendly, but they are my little Blue duck either.

But they do come when I call "hey, little ducklets!" or if I just walk outside with a dish of something or they think I might have something in my hands.
They even ran to DH the other day and he was laughing asking when was the last time he gave them treats.
They are treat hounds, um ducks. They are friendly when it suits them, and it suits them to be friendly when food is involved
big_smile.png

I think your ducklings may have passed the point of imprinting with you, they are bonded with each other...like my first brood did...they thought I was the boogeyman when I cleaned their cage, gave them food or changed their water... ugh! The second brood I had only 3... these babies are way better, I actually have 1 gosling and 2 ducks... the buff duck is practically independant, the indian runner seems confused most of the time...but my gosling, she is 100 percent my follower...and their leader, so that makes everything work well. I walk somewhere-she follows, they follow her... it works.

I feel for you, I wish I would have been able to bond better with my first ducks...they are ok now, they don't run too far away from me now and are less skiddish at 12 weeks. Once they grow up, they will identify you with good things such as clean water, food and treats...they will come around if you maintain routine and a calm manor.

Don't be big is the number one I have figured out with 3 different sets of ducks. They think big is going to get them so I shrink down to their level and I let them know that I am coming before I appear. With the babies in the brooder (bathtub) I start talking before I come into the bathroom and it helps them that I don't just appear. I'm only 5'4" but with them being about 7" I can see how that would be scary to a ducky. Peas and water dishes are my best friend. They know green things are treats and my black pan means a dip in the pool. Mine have never liked to be carried but that is because they bond with each other more since they are with themselves all day and I only get about 1 solid hour and tiny times throughout the day. Good luck with your babies!!!

imo, getting them a day(s) olds and raising them in the house in a room where most of the activity happens will help them learn who you are. the more they see you the better, even if you arent interacting with them. also, TREATS, TREATS, TREATS!!! the fewer the ducks you raise together the friendlier they will become but even in large groups they can become somewhat friendly with a lot of attention and treats. my first batch was 15 ducklings and 2 goslings and i raised them in my livingroom until they were around 7ish weeks when they started going outside during the day but they still came inside at night to sleep. they are not sit in your lap ducks but they will come and investigate to see if i have any treats and see what i am doing. if i do have treats then they are all trying to push their way to the front of the flock to get to the peas and they eat happily out of my hand
smile.png

So... does that mean I've missed my chance with the 16 mail-order ducklings in the outdoor coop who won't take treats from me? So bummed:(

We do plan to cull in a couple weeks (we just wanted a half-dozen layers and the hatchery had a 15-minimum, straight-run policy, so we plan to learn a bout rendering duck fat...), and that will reduce the flock size, but I suppose adolescence is too late?

Back
Top Bottom