Any tips on dealing with minks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Alexandra33, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Mink have a pretty large range so can disappear for long periods of time. I have game camera photos of one trying to get in my coop at noon last winter.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  2. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    If the previous owner mentioned dogs running around in the area, that’s another threat to the chickens. Or maybe I misread your post?

Alexandra33 likes this.
  3. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

Believe me, I am highly concerned about foxes and dogs. :hmm Pretty sure we'll be fighting predators constantly.

I'm absolutely loving your information-packed posts, @Biddybot ! :) Like most predators, it seems foxes are somewhat beneficial in their own ways. Too bad they can't be trusted around poultry.

Ugh....raccoons are the worst. Good job disposing of your threat! :thumbsup
    Most certainly. At risk of sounding harsh, roaming dogs with bad intentions (I understand it's instinct, but same could be said for anything attacking chickens) are fair game.....easy targets. I don't play around. Minks sound a bit more sneaky and difficult to combat. :(

~Alex

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  4. JDN

JDN Songster

Feb 28, 2018
    Raleigh NC
    They are small and furtive. I don't think most people "see" them unless they specifically go looking one way or another.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  5. Alexandra33

Well.....I believe I have added another line of defense. :) A couple weeks ago, Rural King sold me 12 guineas for $1.50 a piece. :wee Hopefully their resounding alarm calls will help a little.

~Alex

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  6. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    That sounds great!

Read up on guineas. They require some different “socialization” than chickens to keep from just flying away. I liked the book “Gardening with Guineas.”

Alexandra33 and WthrLady like this.
  7. TheBlueShepard

TheBlueShepard Chirping

Jul 12, 2019
    A baby monitor on your birds at night (secured every night), a good 22lr rifle (or discreet equivalent such as a powerful airgun), and some conibear bucket sets should keep you afloat. Not to mention you may be able to turn some of the pelts for profit.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  8. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Free Ranging

Apr 13, 2018
    Sittin on a rock
    My Coop
    What size conibear and bucket do you recommend for mink?

Alexandra33 likes this.
  9. Don't count on them, they may be the first to go.

Alexandra33 likes this.
  10. Alexandra33

May I ask what you mean by "different socialization?" :) Admittedly, I haven't done extensive research on the subject. :oops: Quite eager to learn before it's too late, and these little brats are beyond hope. :lol:
    We have the firearms covered. ;) A relative also brought up selling mink fur, which is a wonderful idea.
    My expectations aren't too high at this point. :) These guineas will serve other purposes, as well, such as pest control (if nothing else). Ticks run rampant on our new property.

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: