Any tips on how to kill a coyote in a residential neighborhood?

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
A few months ago my cat was attacked by what we thought was a dog but had suspected a coyote that had been sighted in the area. The cat survived with weeks of medications and wound cleaning. From that point on we made sure both of our cats went in the house at night, they usually do by choice but this one time the male cat was playing games and hid well from us to stay out all night. He is an avid hunter and has completely killed off every vole, mouse and what have u around here. A few weeks ago around noonish both cats were out in our fenced in backyard hanging out with the chickens like they usually do during the day. My oldest cat sasha was sunning herself on the patio at noon. I had gone inside to grab a bite to eat and 20 minutes later she was at the backdoor wanting to come in looking a bit puffed out. We let her in, she took 5 steps and laid down on the floor. My Dh went to go pick her up and his whole hand slid inside her gut. We grabbed a towel, wrapped her up and headed to the vet. NOw I have seen dog attacks before but it was nothing compared to her injuries. She had puncture wounds all down her spine, on every leg, pretty much everywhere but the worst was the wound to her gut, ripped wide open. We discussed her options and the possible outcome of this whole ordeal and I was sad to learn that the surgery alone was gonna cost $1,900 that wasn't including the long term care that would take place and the drainage tube they would have to put in to keep the infection out ect. This was all based on the hopes that her bowels had not been ripped open. We mad ethe gut wrenching decision to have her put to sleep verses the risky surgery she probably wouldn't have made it thru anyways. They gave us a few minutes with her before they administered the "shot" I lost it, just fell apart. You could probably hear my cries from a mile away. I just sat there and apologized to her for all of this. When the vet came back in and moved her thats when the smell of her bowels filled the room, dh had to leave to compose himself and the vet and I had a short chat about her chances now that we know the bowels were torn and all that crap leaked inside her abdomen. He explained to me the chances were very small and much more costly. This was 2 weeks ago. I made sure to go to all the neighbors with cats/dogs ect to warn them that not only one of my cats was attacked by this thing but both now had been nailed one resulting in death. I begged ppl to keep their cats in until we dealt with this thing. Noone listened! A few days ago I saw another cat across the street from my house looking pretty tired and banged up, brought it in the house so I could try to find the owners while I checked out the cat and wouldn't ya know this cat had 2 puncture wounds above its right front leg and a few more towards its tail! Same distance between puncture wounds as both my cats had. We have a wooded area behind our coop and another large wooded area across the street from our house. I have seen with my own eyes this coyote come out from under my neighbors deck and across his driveway and into our front yard on a few occasions. I have also seen it come out from under our deck. Neighbors have seen it in broad daylight and my cat was killed in the early afternoon. NOw I know what needs to be done but how? We live in a residential area so it's not like I can load up the 22 and go hunting. Any tips on how to lure this thing in so I can have my way with it? All the strays around here have disappeared and this thing is starting to get bold coming out during the day like that! I fear for the children around here too! I highly doubt the DNR is gonna lift a finger about this being its only a few isolated incidents on cats verses humans.

Last edited:
leg traps would be ideal. but being that you are in a residential area they are a very bad idea. you will get neighbors cats in them and other thing you dont want to hurt. my suggestion is to either use a very large live trap. another way is to talk to the sherrif about shooting him in town and let him know what your up to. i would use animal guts for bait. i always use em for trappin and it works great. leave fish guts rabbit guts anything out and wait and shoot him on sight. but coyotes are known for being in groups.i would also reccomend using somthing bigger than a 22. i use a 223 witch is the same size bullet only larger charge so a well placed shot should do the job! good luck!

I have rats in Chicago I bait so the come in to an area where I don't have to worry about missing .....place them where you want them to be for the cleanest shot....only so many cats left before its somebody !

You need to find a very large box trap. Try Animal Control to see if they have one to borrow. Game must be getting scarce as it is getting bolder.
I foresee more of this situation as hunting is discouraged more and more and houses are continuing to be built.

Animal control here only does dogs and cats. They defer to the Dept. of Conservation for wildlife who will loan traps. A big one would still be too small for a big coyote.
Leg trap or shooting are the best options.

Animal control out here is the sherriff, they can't even catch a criminal much less a coyote and probably won't be much help at all. Think i'll get a bow and arrow and learn to use it! Tooo many ppl around here let their dogs roam and I would feel horrible if one of the dogs got caught in the leg trap. This coyote has major mange and god knows what else! Thankfully both my cats are always UTD on vaccinations. I haven't seen it with any kits so I think its a lone male in rough shape. I just can't figure out why it wouldn't go after a yard full of chickens instead of cats, must have a taste for felines I guess. I'll try giving the DNR a call to see what they think would be the best way to get rid of this thing, if they choose to do nothing about it then I will take more extreme measures and camp out in the woods with the .22 and take my chances on someone calling the cops.

I don't have an answer but I'm really sorry about your cat.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom