1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

any tips on how to make fresh eggs peel whole for deviled eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by 2chickenrich, Dec 21, 2008.

1. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    We are getting enough eggs I won't have to buy any for Christmas dinner but I know fresh eggs do not peel whole , any ideas ?

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I put salt and a little vinegar in the water . Seems to help

[​IMG]

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I've tried the salt and that hasn't really seemed to work well, I will try the vinegar in addition!

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Scoop 'em out w/a spoon, works well.

5. I am not sure, I usually only use eggs that are 4-7 days old for best results and once cooked I tip the hot water off and fill the saucepan with cold water. [​IMG]

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Vinagar or Salt will work, and use your OLDEST eggs

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I don't refrigerate my eggs...we go through them too quickly. I have grown children that come to my house and pilfer eggs so my 30 hens can just barely keep up with the demand. In fact I plan to add a couple dozen hens in the spring because we could really use more eggs.

That being said I have an "egg bowl" that sits on my kitchen counter and I use a magic marker and mark the eggs that I plan to use for boiled eggs. That is a sign to all not to take that egg. I age them for as long as I can...a week would be best but I have used 3 day old eggs and they were a little trouble but better than new ones.

As long as you don't put them in the frig and age them as long as possible you don't need any tricks...you can boil them any way you choose and they will peel trouble free.

8. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    right from boiling to a ice bath has been working for me

9. jmk3482

jmk3482 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2007
    Troy, MO
    I use salt in the water. A LOT of salt. 1 cup rock salt per 1 dozen eggs. Works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by