Any uses for chicken blood?

Balog

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 30, 2014
One of my neighbors is getting rid of some of their old egg birds that have stopped producing. I will be processing them for meat and don't want to waste anything. I'll be bleeding them into a bucket, and was wondering if there are any uses for the blood?

Blood can be used to make some really tasty delicacies, and it's very nutritious and satieting.

Sangette is a traditional French peasant dish (made with poultry or duck blood, or any blood) that is tasty and really easy to make. (It's sometimes described loosely as a "blood omelette," but to me that just sounds nasty and doesn't actually do it justice.) We make it whenever we slaughter. It's best to use the blood when it's as fresh as possible. Simply saute some onions and garlic with chopped parsley in a skillet, add the blood, seasoned with salt and pepper, cook till the blood solidifies (you can cook it like an omelette, in one piece, or just scramble, which is easier). Garnish with more parsley and eat with buttered toast.

Scandinavian style blood pudding involves a little more prep, but is insanely delicious! You should be able to find a general recipe for guidance online if you dig around, or you can pm me. It's usually made with pork blood traditionally but any blood is just as good. Blood pudding is fun because once it's cooked and sets up, you keep it refridgerated and slice off pieces as needed and fry them in butter to crisp the outsides. Kind of like most people do with scrapple.

Some stews also use blood as thickener, including traditional Coq au Vin. But I'm not sure how that's done...

I had a contractor that tells me where he comes from, the dilute the fresh blood with about a cup of water, stir in some salt and they drink it. I don't like blood cakes, blood sausage or blood soup. So, when my friend processes the chickens, I take the blood and then dilute it in buckets and water my fruit trees and plants with it. It's excellent for the garden, if you don't want to use it as a food source.

One of my neighbors is getting rid of some of their old egg birds that have stopped producing. I will be processing them for meat and don't want to waste anything. I'll be bleeding them into a bucket, and was wondering if there are any uses for the blood?

Turn it back into eggs...chickens LOVE it. Mine will lick the tree and the ground where I butcher until all the blood is gone.

I'm sorry, I'm simply not hungry enough to eat or drink blood. I use it as fertilizer and my garden's the bomb.

My dogs would probably love it, but I don't separate the blood from the rest of the offal and feathers and I don't want the dogs making a mess digging through that. I just bury it in the garden.

Blood pudding?
I don't know if you can use it from chickens but I know folks that make it from hog blood.

Of course you can use chicken blood--why not? I don't have hogs, so naturally I've only ever used duck or chicken blood to make it. Blood from any warm blooded animal is virtually identical in composition.

Drinking the blood like that sounds interesting--but I don't much care for the taste of raw blood, generally. Cooked, on the other hand, I love. You should try Irish black pudding too, if you ever get the chance--don't know exactly how to make it, but it's delish and the main ingredient is blood.

Feeding it to the chickens is also a good idea. As is diluting and using as a liquid fertilizer!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom