1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any veggies?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by milleryardchx, May 27, 2008.

1. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    I'm cleaning out my fridge and I have some veggies that aren't firm anymore but not rotten is there any veggies I can't give my chickens? I have corn on the cob a little celery and one zucchini... Is that all ok to give my hens?

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I have given all those vegetables to my chickens. The zucchini is eaten raw with relish . . . you don't need to provide the relish, however [​IMG].

Corn on the cob . . . sounds like chicken feed doesn't it [​IMG]?
    They are likely to have problems with the stringy nature of celery. I chop celery and microwave for a minute in a plastic bag. After it cools, the hens seem to really enjoy it [​IMG].

Steve

3. opihiman911

opihiman911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    Absolutely give it to them.
    I hava a garden and my girls get all the wormy, slug eaten vegis that don't go on my table. I also clean out my work refigerator once a week of any stale bread, soft bruised apples, overripe banana and limp lettuce and carrots.
    My girls love it when I come home from a 2 day shift because they know I got a bunch of goodies for them. About the only vegi I found they don't like is bell and sweet peppers, but everything else if a great big buffet treat for them.

Aloha,
    Cory

4. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    I give just about every veggie and fruit too, I can find to my girls! They Love it! If the the fruit or veggie has a tough skin around it then I'll break it open first. My thoughts are if they don't like it then they won't eat it [​IMG] so I pretty much let them make the call! [​IMG] I also throw out fish scraps too, raw & cooked (w/o the bones) then they're in heaven! Spoiled??? Maybe, but when your basically giving birth every day (to an egg) for someone else to enjoy, it worth it!
    Oh and by the way, ...[​IMG]

Lori

5. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My Chickie loves to try anything I am eating. After trying, she either eats or doesnt eat. I agree, let them make the call.

6. milleryardchx

milleryardchx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Washington State
    ok well thak you everyone for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by