Any way/ reason to patch a cracked egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shrader, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    One of my broodies is sitting on a new clutch of eggs.
    I just went out and candled -- definitely some veins! (About day 5.)
    One of the eggs that is showing veins has a small crack in it.
    Should I try to bandage it in any way?
    Is there any chance of this chick surviving?

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* A fresh hairline crack may be 'patched' with plain candle wax, according to what I've read here. Never tried it myself and have no idea of success in hatching. MAYBE, in a bator it might work. I would doubt it under a broody-- but s/o else may have more to offer on this topic. Good luck.

3. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    I have patched a cracked egg by dripping candlewax on it, for an egg in my bater . Unfortunately it didn't make it all the way (died about day 16 ) but I have heard that there are ones that have worked . can't see why it would be any different under a broody. The risk is bacteria getting inside , am not even sure that that was the cause of death in the one that I patched so give it a try . [​IMG]

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had one on day 14 get cracked pretty good. I just melted a crayon on it and a week later it hatched just fine. Good luck and just keep a eye on it to make sure it's still growing when you candle.

5. Shrader

Shrader Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks everyone. I'll go grab it now and try the candle wax idea. [​IMG]

6. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Good luck!! [​IMG] What do you have to lose, right?

7. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I hatched one that I fixed a crack on with melted crayon. Figured it was non toxic! Hatched out fine!

8. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    i'm using candle wax right now on an egg

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I found this thread while searching for answers on this topic. I'm going to add on to it instead of creating a new thread.

While checking on the eggs under a broody one slipped from my hand, fell a few inches onto another, and cracked. It's a thin crack about an inch long, and a few drops of some clear liquid oozed out.

These eggs are on Day 20 and I was checking to see if any had pipped yet. Now I feel like such a dope, and a klutz. But I'll blame it on the pre-dawn Christmas shopping I just returned from.

I'm going out to light a candle & drip a little wax on the seal, will say a prayer while I'm at it. Please let me know if there's anything else you would recommend -- like should I pick off the wax when/if the chick starts to hatch?

I'll let you know if the chick hatches.

10. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    Quote:I hatched out 2 chicks on the 16th of this month that had cracks in them. I did not do anything to them. They are doing just fine. Good luck with yours. I have been told candle wax works. DJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by