Any way to get oil out of styrofoam (as in my incubator!)?

KellyHM

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Lakeland, FL
The bottom half of my Hovabator Genesis was outside on the driveway, drying after I cleaned it out, and DH's stupid mutt puppy got ahold of a bottle of motor oil and splattered it all over the incubator. I'm assuming I can't incubate eggs while it has oil soaked into it, but does anyone know how to possibly get it out? Without ruining the styrofoam?
barnie.gif

i know my dad used to use Tide detergent (the laundry soap) to get oil out of the garage floor.. also used to use Simple Green to remove oil from other things.. not sure if you can remove all of the oil from styrofoam.. but those are the first two things I would try

Hi There. The good news: Liquid dish soap will remove almost all of the oil. Allow to soak for a while with warm water before cleaning. The OK news: If you're careful to not scratch the styrofoam when you clean it, you'll remove as much as possible. The bad news: It can be very difficult to remove oil from styrofoam. Once you clean it, warm it up. If it still smells like oil, clean again.

Things to avoid: scratches, which will soak up oil. Cleaning solvents, which will dissolve the foam. Anything that contains a solvent used to break up grease, like tool cleaning solutions. Soaps and detergents are fine. Keep us updated, feel free to post here or PM me if you have questions.

Like Chemguy said, dishwashing liquid does wonders on oil. A citrus degreaser would probably work too.
I wouldn't worry too much if you get most of it out. Motor oil is stable at very high temps. At 100 degrees probably no off gassing.

Like said above dishwash liq ,Dawn is the one used by crews cleaning the Birds in the Gulf Oil Spill...So it probably be OK...cva34

Back
Top Bottom