any way to stop rooster from mating with hens

AceSierra

Songster
Jun 2, 2020
I have a 10 week silkie rooster that I thought was a hen but turned out to be a little boy. having a rooster would be problematic for me because I only have 1 hen that would get picked on all day and worn out is there any way I could train the him not to mate. maybe put a fake hen statue in there or something lik

Why do you only have one hen?
You're going to need to get another hen to replace that cockerel anyway.
Chickens are social and she will not enjoy being on her own when said cockerel is gone.
Or, get two or three more girls, if that's possible for you. Then you can keep the cockerel.

No. He will not be trained not to mate.
He's a cockerel.
I would assume caponization would work in that area, but - don't try it. It's unnecessary and not fair on the cockerel.

Re-home him to some nice farm where he can be a cockerel.

Why do you only have one hen?
You're going to need to get another hen to replace that cockerel anyway.
Chickens are social and she will not enjoy being on her own when said cockerel is gone.
Or, get two or three more girls, if that's possible for you. Then you can keep the cockerel.

No. He will not be trained not to mate.
He's a cockerel.
I would assume caponization would work in that area, but - don't try it. It's unnecessary and not fair on the cockerel.

Re-home him to some nice farm where he can be a cockerel.
I had 2 that I kept as pets they come in at night but her friend died from mareks and bow I've been her companion for almost a year so I got her a silkie thinking it wont be aggresive to her since shes an austrolorp and they said it was a hen but turned out to be a little man. I'll keep a close eye on him and correct any bad behavior that I can.

Back
Top Bottom