Any way to tell what this girl is mixed with?

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
So one of my BRs, Ginny, started laying this week... white eggs! I have known all along that her coloring and body type aren't quite right for a BR. So obviously she is a mix, but is there any way of knowing what she is mixed with? I don't really care, just curious.

Ginny as a baby:
2008_0422chicks0006.jpg

Around 16wks I think:
DSCF0034-1-1.jpg

Eating some yogurt with my other BR (who lays pinkish-brown eggs):
DSCF0021.jpg

Close up of her head:
2008_0818augustchickens0009.jpg

Her body type is smaller and quite perky, sort of like an OEGB. Might be where the white eggs are coming from. Weird, though, due to the earlobes. However, not impossible. Barred Hollands lay white eggs and they have red lobes! It's hard to say for sure what, but obviously, it would be a white egglayer. Her daddy was probably the BR part of the equation. Or Barred Holland maybe.

Last edited:
I'm 95% sure. She was in and out of the nest box for quite a while this morning. Saw her in there at one point and when I went out 15mins later, there was a warm, white egg. My EE just started squatting day before yesterday and I haven't seen her in the nest box at all. Both the EE and this girl have the same fleshy colored earlobes, neither one has just straight white ears.

She just might be! I looked at a couple pictures online (couldn't find more than that), and she looks similar, even with the slightly blurred barring. I know my feed store orders from Ideal, and in checking their website, they carry barred hollands. You may have solved my mystery!

She is very pretty!!!!! I now have another breed I really like.....
big_smile.png

What is going on with her comb? The little black spots? just curiouse.

Last edited:
The black spots look like peck marks or like she went through some briars. Doesn't seem significant. I think she must be part Barred Holland, which would definitely explain the white eggs. If I didn't have BRs, I might get some of those. Just dont want different barred birds...unless one was blue barred, LOL.

I think the black spots were probably just dirt. I had posted about it a while back, but I didn't try washing it off. There aren't any spots on her comb now, so I assume it was probably just mud spray or something.

Back
Top Bottom