Any wildlife photographers out there

I don't do a lot of wildlife photography (unless you count bugs!). I just don't have the proper lenses for that. But I do shot some nature photography every now and then.

Here is one of the very few photos I have of a hummingbird. I had to sit right next to the feeder for quite some time to get this with a portrait lense. But it was well worth the wait.

View attachment 1093450
Beautiful rich colors! Hummingbirds can be hard to capture.

Beautiful rich colors! Hummingbirds can be hard to capture.

Thanks.
I can get pretty close to our feeder, like within a foot or two. But I have to stay really still once I get there. So a tripod or something to brace against is a definite must. We usually have about 6 feeders for them. They are very territorial little buggers, they often fly right up to our face to see if we have intentions to pilfer from THEIR feeder!!

There is actually more than a little bit of $$ to be made with wildlife photography these days. Personally I use video and Panasonic UX series 4k video. Pond5 and Shutterstock are free and easy places to sell. They handle everything and keep a cut. Still photography....not so much. The nice thing about shooting in 4k is the quality is so good you can take a still picture directly from the video if you want. Patience is the key. It took me two days to get this family of river otters once. Wildlife will never do what you want it to do.

There is actually more than a little bit of $$ to be made with wildlife photography these days. Personally I use video and Panasonic UX series 4k video. Pond5 and Shutterstock are free and easy places to sell. They handle everything and keep a cut. Still photography....not so much. The nice thing about shooting in 4k is the quality is so good you can take a still picture directly from the video if you want. Patience is the key. It took me two days to get this family of river otters once. Wildlife will never do what you want it to do.

Also you can crop 4K if you get a minor photobomb. But they also make your hard drives fill up really fast!

Also you can crop 4K if you get a minor photobomb. But they also make your hard drives fill up really fast!
Yes.....and yes again. I quit taking a still camera with me the 4k is so good and can grab directly and then import to do the photo thing in photoshop. Is it as good as RAW to work with...no, but considering how hit and miss wildlife photography truly is....just getting something .....is everything. The video gets it all. For 2 grand you can get a pretty incredible camera these days.

Back
Top Bottom