Anybody a asil fan?

James head

Chirping
Jan 12, 2020
Looking for Asil breeders or enthusiast. Open for discussion, sell or trade after I get my new ones settled in to new home. I had them30 years ago, before the present day interest. Starting over again is just as expensive, if not more so, but I have more time to enjoy them. All interested in Standard American games, of all strains.

You might want to ask a mod to move this out of Buy Sell Trade.

I am a fan. We had a pair for a short time. I winter some animals for a summer camp with a petting farm and there were a pair of Asil with the poultry. My son fell instantly in love. The rooster, very tame, took right to him and followed him like a dog, would let himself be hugged and took treats so gently from his hands. The rooster never fought because the other roosters took one look at him and decided he was King and crept wide around him. He would not tolerate any hen harassing his lady. He didn't want them to scuffle at all, but would grab them and shake them if they went near his Asil hen.

Sadly, all the birds from the camp had a respiratory issue, and in spite of being treated, we did lose about half of them, including the rooster.
The hen survived, head and shoulders over the rest of the flock. She was never as friendly as her mate but she was curiously gentle, and would happily follow my son, even if she didn't want to be touched. We all cried the day a fox came right into the barn and took her. I had searched everywhere and finally found her feather near a fox run - it was one of the clues that led me to the fox to trap it.

My son missed them so much that I tried to order some from a hatchery (knowing they would not be the same) only 2 out of 5 arrived alive, and one never did well and died within 2 weeks. The other, oddly, never feathered out or grew much, but lived for 7 or so weeks, a feisty, active (although increasingly naked!) little bird. It stayed in the newborn brooder as 2 other broods graduated to bigger, cooler ones and was very friendly, but then passed.
I was told the cause of such weak chicks and our poor little friendly naked bird was probably some intense inbreeding.

One day I will find a really good breeder and get my son another pair. We have kept many chickens for his whole life, and I can count on my fingers those who made as strong an impression and are missed as much as those Asils.

Back
Top Bottom