Anybody care for a special needs chicken?

StephBreeden

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 24, 2013

This is my silkie. She was spooked by a fox and the next day she was lame in one leg. By the 3rd day she was lame in her other leg and had stopped eating. She had no broken bones, no swelling, no slipped tendon, and no heat anywhere. She has no dieses or worms. Anyway I was wondering if there is anybody out there that also gives an injured chicken a chance instead of just culling?

I have one who was attacked by a dog. She lost her left eye. And a year after the attack doing great she is an older girl lays about 2 eggs a week. But I love my lucky girl

Why of course we do. Many of us on the board have gone to great extent to save their pet chicken.

Thank goodness there are more like me. So many think she's no good anymore and I should cull her but I really like her and I don't kill any of my chickens. Not sure why some can't understand. I have a RIR that doesn't lay anymore but I wouldn't dare hurt her. She will live out her days free ranging until her time is up.

If you need help with your injured chicken just ask!

Actually I do need a little help. I gave her bath today which I've done before. I think she might have gotten a little water in her nose. Tonight she has a gurggle sound when she breaths. What can I give her to keep her from getting an infection in her lungs?

I have a little silkie x hen that was taken by a hawk. My daughter managed to spook the hawk into dropping the chicken. When we retrieved her she was all ruffed up and she had lost an eye. That was over 18 months ago, she is currently fighting over a dozen eggs with her mum. They are the best mommas. They have raised Wyandotte , barnevelder , sussex and silkie. They have cared for them all equally and without bias.
When you bath silkies it is always a good idea to blow dry them . They don't fair well when they are wet through. It is also very easy for them to get aspirated lung. Do you have a pic of her legs?

sounds lovely, hope she has some babies for you , or you get fertile eggs out in the market. She seems like a champ~

Thank you. She certainly is a trooper. I'm afraid I'm not a breeder. I have several different breeds and the babies I got are mixed. I have some very interesting mixes like a barred rock mixed with a game rooster which he is a huge boy. I have a beautiful leghorn/Phoenix mix oh and I have barred rock/black silkie mix. She is jet black and to look at her she looks like a crow. Anyway all my chickens are allowed to just be chickens and when we have babies they stay here. I don't sell them and the eggs I get are distributed to family for eating.

I have a little silkie x hen that was taken by a hawk. My daughter managed to spook the hawk into dropping the chicken. When we retrieved her she was all ruffed up and she had lost an eye. That was over 18 months ago, she is currently fighting over a dozen eggs with her mum. They are the best mommas. They have raised Wyandotte , barnevelder , sussex and silkie. They have cared for them all equally and without bias.
When you bath silkies it is always a good idea to blow dry them . They don't fair well when they are wet through. It is also very easy for them to get aspirated lung. Do you have a pic of her legs?

Yes that's why I bought her as a chick because they are wonderful little mothers. I don't have a pic of her legs but her legs are straight and nothing abnormal about them. I always blow dry her and believe it or not I think she actually enjoys it. She helps lift her wings to dry underneath and never trys to fight. I truly believe she is enjoying the attention. Its funny because she was never handled before her accident. Today I got slight curling of her toes and slight resistance when exercising her legs. It wasn't much but its more than what she has been able to do. If she has an aspirated lung what can I do for her?

Back
Top Bottom