Anybody care for a special needs chicken?

I've been handling her for a week. Should I just administer antibiotic just to be safe and if so what do I use?

Depends how long she's been breathing irregular . I'd play by ear , keep an eye on her, give her a chance to regurgitate it if that's what it is. As for what product , that depends where you are. I can't buy the products that are readily available in the states.

I would introduce her to sardines in oil. The fact that she is inactive may put her at a higher risk of digestive problems. The fish will give her omega 3 and the oil should help with digestion. I feed generic sardines to all of mine as a treat once a week. They knock me over at the gate for them.

Depends how long she's been breathing irregular . I'd play by ear , keep an eye on her, give her a chance to regurgitate it if that's what it is. As for what product , that depends where you are. I can't buy the products that are readily available in the states.

Wonderful news...it stopped. I even held her beak shut to force her to breath through her nose and its Crystal clear. She may have had a piece of food stuck in her troat. For some reason at night time she starts to breath with her mouth open : / but during the day she breaths through her nose.

I would introduce her to sardines in oil. The fact that she is inactive may put her at a higher risk of digestive problems. The fish will give her omega 3 and the oil should help with digestion. I feed generic sardines to all of mine as a treat once a week. They knock me over at the gate for them.

Ill have to try that. Her poops are normal 95% of the time. Solid and round with the white. Smells really bad but she has had a change in diet.

Wonderful news...it stopped. I even held her beak shut to force her to breath through her nose and its Crystal clear. She may have had a piece of food stuck in her troat. For some reason at night time she starts to breath with her mouth open : / but during the day she breaths through her nose.

Good news!
1f60a.png
keep an ear out for rattling or wheezing . Then treat if necessary .
I have to admit to another " special needs " roo. He was my favorite big buff sussex. He got a bad case of bumble foot. We did the surgery and he had no external signs of infection, but he won't stand on it. So he has his own special pen that hops round on one leg. My husband thinks I'm crazy . But my Hercules seems quite happy.

Good news!
1f60a.png
keep an ear out for rattling or wheezing . Then treat if necessary .
I have to admit to another " special needs " roo. He was my favorite big buff sussex. He got a bad case of bumble foot. We did the surgery and he had no external signs of infection, but he won't stand on it. So he has his own special pen that hops round on one leg. My husband thinks I'm crazy . But my Hercules seems quite happy.

Lol mine thinks I'm crazy too but hey I like her and I'm the one doing it. She is in the house with me. I have a laundry basket full of towels she sleeps in. I don't want her getting pressure sores. During the day she spends time in the sling or I carry her around with me : )

I also shaved her butt to help keep her clean. During the day its not a problem but when I get up in the mornings I have to do a butt wash

I also shaved her butt to help keep her clean. During the day its not a problem but when I get up in the mornings I have to do a butt wash

Oh the web we weave! When I have chicks in the brooder I add apple cider vinegar to the water to prevent pasty butt, I also smear a little Vaseline around the vent, to stop the poop sticking. It might be worth a try on your little one.

Oh the web we weave! When I have chicks in the brooder I add apple cider vinegar to the water to prevent pasty butt, I also smear a little Vaseline around the vent, to stop the poop sticking. It might be worth a try on your little one.
I've been trying to think of a way I can prop her butt up so when she goes she doesn't have to sit in it. Since she can't move to get away from it. It doesn't stick to her skin but I will definitely do the Vaseline so she doesn't get poo burn from sitting in it during the night.

Ill get better pics of her tomorrow and pics of her legs so everyone stay tuned. I look for her to improve. She may never walk again but if I can get her to at least have some movement in her legs ill be happy. At least she could maybe push herself or something or if I built her a walker she could push herself around.

Back
Top Bottom