Anybody else fluent in ASL?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chickengal505, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    haha for those of you who dont know what ASL is It's an abreveation for american sign language. I'm quite fluent in ASL and find it hard to find other ASL speakers out there. So who else is bilingual and knows ASL?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think Ewesheep is... and a few others on here too.. (just cant remember their names..[​IMG]..)
    Yeah, i know... i'm a big help. [​IMG]

3. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Hello. I know ASL. I learned sign language when my now 21 year old was in preschool. He has never talked. His disease has progressed and he no longer can sign but I continued learning. I am an RN and I have worked exclusively with deaf/medically fragile pediatric patients for the last 10 years. Working in the school system, we do teach signed English so they kids can learn proper sentence structure and spelling, but I also work with Deaf adults who sign only and we often fall into ASL.

4. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Quote:[​IMG] Great, I'm quite new with it and I'm still working on my reading [​IMG] But I'm pretty good a signing. I really hope to use ASL to work with children.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I do not use ASL 100% of the time. Most of the time I do not understand that language but if I can "hoof" it, it can be communicative. I am from the "old school" English sign language which I would sign just about every word I say instead of abbreviate like ASL or "over dramatize" my signs. All it does give me a "glazed over" look when someone really into ASL and I would have to pick thru what they are saying. Good thing that most of the ASL folks can understand me quite well. I'm 46 and have not used much signs since I graduated from college back in 1994 so I am a bit rusty.

If you are teaching or learning ASL, go for it! Times are changing! I would say some certain words will evolve over the years that it become obsolete and some that do remember those signs would still use it or remember it.

Bless your heart in wanting to teach children ASL. I honestly did not teach my daughter sign language, wanted her to know ASL instead of my "piggin'" language LOL!

6. vanilla.exe

vanilla.exe Chillin' With My Peeps

My boyfriend is. I need to learn myself, that way when he talks to me like that I know what he's saying [​IMG]

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I had to train my deaf dog sign language. LOL I use ASL for her.

8. Chickengal505

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    My sister is, she's an interpreter. She is amazing at it. She spent many years interpreting at colleges and universities for students. Now she works for a relay service. She started with it in high school. I wish I would have learned it too.

10. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I am! It is hard to stay in practice because I don't know anyone that uses it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by