Anybody Else having a Bad Year? a long rant UPDATE-post 31

Jeeper1540

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
The Canyons of Nevada
I joined BYC thinking it was a forum about chickens, eggs, etc... But i found this part of the forum and have read some peoples posts, and even replied to some, but now i find myself writing on this topic...

It seems like the last year, year and a half have been horrible.

MY DAD

last January my dad lost his job, at a company he has been working at for about 25 years. at this point in his job he was working at a desk with a computer ordering parts for the mine. When he got laid off, he got a good severance since he had worked there so long, so he took a month off and just relaxed. There were only a few jobs that could provide us with the money we needed, but it was good because he just finally paid off his truck. he started working at a new Power Plant, but at this job he had to work outside in the cold of winter and the heat of summer, working hard, a lot harder than he had worked in the last 15 years. plus the annual Shut Down where he had to work 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. he got hired on right at the beginning of the Down, so he went from a month off to 12 hour days hard work. in November 2009 our other car broke down, and things seemed like they were going good, so we got a 2006 Ford Expedition. kind of an expensive car, especially since we are used to buying cars that are 8 or so years old. (little background info i forgot to throw in, company 'A' built the power plant, and company 'B' was contracted to run it) Company A had until the beginning of June 2010 to take over the plant for no reason, after that the "had to have a good reason" to take over the plant. There was talk Company A was taking the plant. This was confirmed at the beginning of the Shut Down 2010, and everyone who was employed by Company B had to submit applications, do a physical, etc, for Company A. then came the Down again, in May 2010. the down lasts a whole month. My dad worked the down, and about a week after it ended, on Memorial Day, the Boss at the Plant got a list of who Company A wasnt going to hire, and guess who was on the list, my Dad! Since he had only worked here a year, he didnt get much severance so he was right out there looking for a job. He got hired on at Company C, a business that sells parts to the mines. the Vize Prez of the company had to approve my dad being hired and he did, so my dad had a new job, and for the first time, it wasnt an hour away from home, it was right here in town. He was hired for Outside Sales (going to mines to sell parts) which meant he got a company truck and computer. Around the 6th of July, he started, and last Thursday (15th) he got his computer. this week he was supposed to go out of town and pick up his co. truck. he met us for lunch on Thurs and told us he got his computer. when he came home later that day, he didnt have it with him. thats when he told us he'd been laid off AGAIN.
he.gif
th.gif

Apparently the VP came down Wednesday and met my dad, then thursday he got laid off. VP said "not enough money to hire someone at this time." THEN WHY DID YOU APPROVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!?!?!?
smack.gif

My Mom

My mom had been going to school the last 4 years, to be a social worker. when she started companies needed social workers left and right. now that she finally graduated (I might add, my dad missed this because of the Shut Down at the plant) she cant get a job. at this point, there is only one Social Work job in our area, and her, plus 2 of her classmates want the job.
barnie.gif

Overview

My mom cant get a job, now that she has a degree, and in the last year and a half or so, my dad has been laid off 3 times. hes having trouble finding another job, and like i said, only one Social Work job left in our area. we are worried we will have to sell our new truck, and if worse comes to worse, we might have to move.

Not to mention

I have lost two hens this year, both in the same day, and in the same week my dad got laid off in May. One was my favorite hen, I loved her so much.

I am just hoping things turn around, just needed to vent.

Last edited:
Yes, it may come down to moving to an area where both of your parents can get a job. It's a tough call, but in these current economic times, it may be necessary. Saying a prayer for you and your family this morning.
hugs.gif

Moving is not always a bad thing! There still are areas with good jobs, besides, moving means making new friends and learning about new areas....lok at it as an adventure.

Well i'm going to look at the negatives here

Moving means i would move away from my friends, and depending on where we move, if we have to move to the city, i will lose my cow, horse, and maybe my chickens. we have a wonderful chicken coop, shed, stable for all our animals we hand built. i dont think i could live in the city again, we moved from the city when i was around 6 or 7 years old and i dont think i could do it again, having a little property, and none of my animals.

Quote:

When I was 16 I had to get a job to help pay the propane bill. Both of my parents kept getting laid off. They fought all the time and ended up getting a divorce. Ahhh the Carter years. Anyone else having de ja vu?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom