Anybody else waiting 'till spring?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GracefulBantams, Jan 9, 2009.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I am feeling rather left out right now. See, I have vowed to wait until spring to pull out the 'bator and set some eggs. I thought I could survive this wait, since my fancy bantams aren't laying now anyway. But... then today, there was an egg in my gorgeous Hamburgs' pen! Now I know how hard it's going to be to wait!! Isn't anyone else in this delima with me, or do you all have the incubators running by now [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    No incubators here but a handful of broody hens, hubby forbid me to hatch any more until spring [​IMG] I already tried to sneak 6 serama eggs under a hen and he caught me lol. I can definately relate

3. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    I never attempt new chicks anytime other than October through March. Here in Texas its easier (and cheaper) to keep them warm than cool. The above dates assume that they are going to be isolated from the others birds in a brooder house for at least 10 weeks. I typically buy a few hundred mid to late October and then another 200 in February.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm waiting. Too cold here and no place to put them once they're ready to move outside.

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I swore I wasn't going to do any hatching this year but I think I've lied to myself. [​IMG] Now I've just gotta convince Skip to let me get some hatching eggs...[​IMG]

Dawn

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Not me....I've got the disease.... Hatch-a-holic disease!!! On my 3rd hatch due tomorrow....then 36 various bantam eggs coming in the mail to me on Monday [​IMG]

7. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Quote:WHOA!!! How many chickens do you have???

Cindy

8. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    And here I thought you had a problem. [​IMG] Save them up and into the bator they go. Of course this is strickly fertility checking and you have to know your hatch percentages. Yes, that's the ticket. Fire up the bator. [​IMG]

9. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Well I couldn't stay away from here so I have 26 live babies in the bator now. I guess I will be putting them the basement after they hatch. [​IMG]

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:DH didn't want me to hatch any this year.
    But silly me, I 'volunteered' to do some test-hatches for some nice folks on BYC [​IMG]

Thankfully, I have homes for the ones we can't fit, if I have a wonderfully successful hatch [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by