Anybody grind their own flour?

I use soft white wheat for pastry type cooking & hard red for others-- I do use hard white sometimes-- but red is what grows here locally so I prefer it. The soft white I order from azure standard.

I do use a giant bag of popcorn from samsclub to make cornmeal. It works pretty well. Also have use ground white & brown rice.

I enjoy grinding our own flour, but when I do buy a bag of white flour everyone in my house gets real excited to have real bread. They still think white is better after all I have tried!

If you are baking bunches samsclub is also the cheapest place to get yeast that I have found.

I did get some pastry wheat and I'm curious to see how it performs. I ordered hard white for bread but red is what we are going to try to grow so I'll have some of each to try. That is really interesting about the popcorn and rice!

I had to laugh about the white bread comment...my DH is the same way. It drives me crazy!
tongue.png

I have been grinding my own wheat for our bread for about 4 years now and here are some of the things I have learned through help from some friends and trial and error.

1. The wheat preforms best if it has been aged a bit after it has been ground. I grind about 5 pounds at a time and place it in a double bagged plastic bag and keep it in the freezer for at least 4 days before I use it. Wheat germ has oils in it that will go rancid quickly if not kept in the freezer....but kept in the freezer it will stay fresh for years.

2. The bread made from this wheat will be at it's best if you allow some fermentation time. Mix your ingredients for your bread but hold out the last two cups of flour for a 6 cup recipe...and yes this includes the yeast. Allow the batter to sit and ferment for at least four hours at room temperature then add the last two cups of flour (I use all-purpose for the last two cups) and continue with the recipe as usual. There is an enzyme in whole wheat that mammals can't digest, the fermentation process breaks down this enzyme so that it can be absorbed...this is the same reason that cow and other grazers have two stomachs.

3. It is not absolutely necessary but adding some vital wheat gluten to the bread will improve it greatly. It improves the texture, allows the dough to hold more moisture, will extend the shelf life of your bread and adds extra nutrition to the bread. I find that 1 slightly heaping tablespoon for every 2 cups of flour works best. I order mine on the net...it's much cheaper than the grocery store. I get mine here. http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/vitalwheatglutencan.aspx

4. Use at least some honey as your sweetener. Honey is hygroscopic....it pulls moisture from the air and will help keep your bread soft and moist longer.

That is all I can think of right now but I will be happy to share my recipe for sandwich bread if you are interested.

HONEY WHEAT BREAD

StepsforHoneyWheatBread004-1.jpg

Thanks, Betty, I will definitely try those tips! I do always use wheat gluten in my breads and I think it makes a big difference.

I made cornbread today using fresh ground corn and ooooh boy, it was tasty! Hopefully I will have time to do some yeast bread tomorrow.

Whole Wheat Honey Bread

2 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup honey
1/3-cup whipped tub butter – melted (this is for the butter flavor)
1/2-cup powdered milk
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 cups very warm water
1 large egg
4 egg yolks (adds extra flavor and nutrition and uses up some eggs)
3 rounded tablespoons vital wheat gluten
4 cups home ground whole wheat
1 tablespoon yeast

2 cups all-purpose flour

Mix first 12 ingredients together in a large bowl or container that will allow batter to rise. Beat batter until smooth then cover and allow to rise and ferment for at least 4 hours. Dough may take on a slightly sour oder during this time, that is normal.

Stir batter down and add 2 cups or more of all-purpose flour mixing until you get a medium dough. Dough should be firm but still slightly sticky. Knead by hand or machine for about 5 minutes.

Place dough in a well oiled container turning dough to coat with oil. Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled.

Turn dough out on to a lightly oiled counter and shape into two regular size loaves or one large one. I shape mine into a large elongated loaf and place on parchment paper on a sheet pan.

Allow loaf to rise for 40 minutes while you preheat your oven to350 degrees. I bake my one large loaf for 38 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees. Over-baking will dry out the bread.

Remove bread to a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting. Store in plastic bags.

StepsforHoneyWheatBread020.jpg

StepsforHoneyWheatBread024.jpg

StepsforHoneyWheatBread001-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom