Anybody grinding Grains for feed?

chickadee2

Chirping
Oct 13, 2008
After all these horror tales, arsenic in Purina feed etc. I would like to try grinding in a coarse grind various grains for the chickens, but I would like to discover someone that is knowledgeable about what should go into the mix. Would really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

Here's a couple of recipes to be found searching around.
http://www.greenerpasturesfarm.com/ChickenFeedRecipe.html
http://organicchickens.homestead.com/ChickenFeedRecipesWindyIslandAcresRation.html

We are going to use the first one ourselves but haven't tried it yet as the chicks aren't coming until later this week.
wee.gif

----- Ed

Thank You ED, those are great sources. Your chickens will be very lucky and a benefit to the family. Thanks

Yep..
I also grind the whole works as a dry feed.
---------------------------------------------------

Organics North Chicken Feed

6 part Black Oil Sunflower (17%P)
6 part Oats (12%P)
6 parts Red Wheat (17%P)

3 part Field Peas (24%P)
3 part cracked Corn (9%P)
3 part whole Flax (34%P)
3 part Alfalfa (17%P)

.5 part Kelp
.125 Oyster shell
.125 DE
.125 Azomite

Notes:
For daily mash first 3 ingredients are mixed and sprouted. Last 8 ingredients are mixed and wetted for mash prior to mixing in with sprouts.

Proper ratio is as follows for daily serving..: 2 parts sprouts to 1 part mash.

Above mix has ::: PROTIEN= 17% unsprouted

Sup. With meat or fish which is about 25% protein

Sup with ACV, Kombucha, Yogurt or water kefir for probiotic..

This looks great. I am so glad that it does not contain soy. The sprouting takes care of the fact that it is too wild here for the chickens to free roam. Thanks a million.

Overrun with chickens, I should have asked this on the last post...

Do you buy hulled or unhulled sunflower seeds? I am not familiar with ACV, but can google it. Will google the kelp too for a source.

My chicks love yogurt! This sounds like a winner. I am glad the flax is left whole so it does not deteriorate. When you say Alfalfa, do you mean the alfalfa hay?

We have a wildlife habitat here in rural TX and only 3 chickens, Me First, an americana, Rosie, a production red, and Shadow a barred rock. All VERY tame. They have about 150 sq ' of hardware enclosed space on 5 sides, for protection against bob cats, coyotes, etc..

Thanks Again.

Quote:
Hi,
I use hulled black oil sunflower seed, the kind a the hardware store for $13 for 50lbs. Alfalfa meal or pellets ground up is what I use. AVC is Apple Cider Vinegar. BRAGGS brand of organic AVC is made in Texas! (Sure do love that stuff for me too..
wink.png
)

Yep yogurt is great, the the sunflower goes bad like the flax if you grind it to far ahead.

Best luck!
ON

Back
Top Bottom