Anybody have a clue about this egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pookiegoldman, Oct 25, 2010.

1. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    For a couple of days now I've been getting an egg just like this one. It's a bit larger than the usual eggs I've been getting. It's ALWAYS laid on the ground in the run. Never in the nest box. It's got this matte purple-looking finish with brownish "scratches" on it. Well yesterday I was cooking and grabbed two of these to cook with, and when I rinsed them under the sink, they instantly turned brown. Like it was a wierd coating on it. Has anyone seen anything like this?? Is this a characteristic of a certain breed? (I've got about 16 different breeds) I actually thought that it was being laid by my Rouen duck hen, but we found HER first egg in our community chicken nest box yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    My EE hens lays light green eggs that have that same white coating over them. If they get wet the eggs turn a more olive color...I'm not 100% sure what it is but it seems to me like it could be the bloom? The coating over the egg that keeps it "fresh" and bacteria free. The lines are from the hens pecking and scratching at it.

3. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    I've had some eggs like that too. Might be an pullet thing??? I'm no expert. Love the smily face though [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It's a protective, extra thick layer called "blume" - It happens a lot with young pullets, and in fact is what often makes eggs appear pink. (And with dark egg layers like Marans - It makes them appear purple)

It's not a defect or problem. [​IMG]

5. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    I thought about the bloom-thing, but I've never seen it so thick. And it makes perfect sense that some white eggs look pink before they're washed... Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by