Anybody have any pics of chocolate or dun colored chickens,dun sumatra

That's great, exactly what I think should be done by anyone who is serious about a breed and breeding to improve and especially helpful to anyone learning. Is it set up so that anyone can use your database?

Quote:
My hen went broody so she finally stayed still long enough to get a good picture. See how she has a copper head but her body is not really black, it's brown. Does anyone know if this color pattern has a name and what breed she is (it's not the best representation of her physique since she is puffed up).

iphone%20pics%20585.JPG

here's some of my Dun Quail d'Anvers. The roos are very dark chocolate, the hens are more even brown.
We just started hatching from them and are getting a lot of Khakis out of them, which I am very excited about.
Also are working with these in our cuckoo and mottled pens to get dun versions of those color patterns too

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

Last edited:
THis rooster is out of a Khaki Red Phoenix and a Buff Ameraucana. He and his sister both have a single copy. You can't even tell it by looking at him unless you look really really close. I am currently raising some EEs from him (the mother is Asil/RIR)
IMG_1229.jpg

This pullet had one copy as well. It seems like one copy expresses better on hens.
IMG_1137-1.jpg

Here`s a Brown Orpington I have, don`t know if shes chocolate. She IS a pure Orpington. 2 of her daughters are the same color brown.
5806_dscf3093.jpg

5806_dscf3440.jpg

That looks like Chocolate to me. If I understand the genetics of Chocolate you need to breed her back to one of her sons and you should get more of that color and then breed a Chocolate rooster to a her and the offspring should be all Choclolate.

What color where her parents? Are thpse Lavenders that she is in with?

Quote:
If I remember right - Her parents were blue and black. She's not chocolate - That color cannot be created.

Sometimes it does happen that a blue will get brown or straw colored streaking in its plumage - This girl just may be entirely of that leaking color - But she's still beautiful!!

Quote:
If I remember right - Her parents were blue and black. She's not chocolate - That color cannot be created.

Sometimes it does happen that a blue will get brown or straw colored streaking in its plumage - This girl just may be entirely of that leaking color - But she's still beautiful!!

Illia, though the color cannot be created... it can "pop up" as a recessive gene out of blacks.... I think
hide.gif
I believe the orpington breed in particular has had this happen before.

Back
Top Bottom