Anybody have dumbo rats?

Barnyard

Addicted to Quack
12 Years
Aug 5, 2007
Southwest Georgia
I am thinking of adopting 2 dumbo rats (brothers). I really need some info on them please? I could search the web but I figured it was worth a shot to ask you guy's first. So let me have it....what's the scoop on them? Feeding, housing, ect.....

they stink! But can be very friendly I have many (not actual jumbos but...) mine have been used for food (snakes), lab experiments (learning trials), or pets...make sure you get a wire cage...plastic doesn't even slow them down...aquariums work but be careful with lids...mine like cat food with some grains thrown in and boiled eggs...they are constant urinators so watch out...if yo hold them you will get pee on you...did I mention they stink

gig.gif
Well gee thanks.... you know how to turn somebody's nose up
lau.gif

I really do like them! I kept them in my classroom until I had a girl that was alregic to them...lots easier to just keep reptiles...not as much shedding...well...you know what I mean! Just be read for the fact they stink...not to be confussed with dirty...they constantly clean themselves...as long as you are prepared to keep the cage clean you will have wonderful pets...watch out they are SMART!!! they require a good door or lid

I adopted 4 rats (2 male, 2 female) from the humane society in college, and I really liked having them. So friendly. Yes, the boys smell so you have to keep the cages clean. I kept the boys separate from the girls to be safe, but even when I let them run around together there was never any monkey business! They only lived a couple years (they were adults when I got them) so they're not a huge commitment. I named them after movie monsters: Frankenstein, Wolfman, Elvira, and Morticia.
big_smile.png

we have dumbo rats, and we just love them! They do tend to stink a little, but what animal doesn't right? They are super smart too, and don't bite like hamsters, at least none of us has ever been bitten by one.
smile.png
when we first got some, my husband really did not like any kind of rats, but now, they seem to all be his!
lau.gif
Any way, go for it, you won't be disappointed. I even told my hubby his favorite actor, Clint Eastwood has rats!
celebrate.gif

Thanks everybody. What do I feed them? The lady that has them now said that she is feeding them cheap hamster food? Is this ok?

I believe packaged "rodent" food will work. I bought mixes at the pet shop, with seeds and nuts. I would also give fresh fruit and veggies, bread, that sort of thing. My rats loved that. They're really not picky eaters. I gave them those flavored wooden blocks to chew, but they never liked them for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom