Anybody have those cool vintage matchboxes?

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

I read a good idea where you put grit and oyster shell in metal matchboxes. Does anyone have some for free or less than ten dollars? This kind:
511pNvG4fcL._AC_.jpg

Thanks!

Hi!

I read a good idea where you put grit and oyster shell in metal matchboxes. Does anyone have some for free or less than ten dollars? This kind:
View attachment 2288499

Thanks!

Likely tooo small!! Did you see the dimensions? 6" tall by 3" wide by 3" deep, not very big. Cute, but probably not practical.
The one in your photo is $12.95 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Antique-Bras...1&keywords=match+holder&qid=1597334743&sr=8-2

You could also get creative and make your own OS dispenser, though not very big either. https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/09/diy-wine-bottle-chicken-grit-oyster.html

A small bucket or can attached to a post in the run makes a good OS dispenser as well.

Likely tooo small!! Did you see the dimensions? 6" tall by 3" wide by 3" deep, not very big. Cute, but probably not practical.
The one in your photo is $12.95 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Antique-Bras...1&keywords=match+holder&qid=1597334743&sr=8-2

You could also get creative and make your own OS dispenser, though not very big either. https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2013/09/diy-wine-bottle-chicken-grit-oyster.html

A small bucket or can attached to a post in the run makes a good OS dispenser as well.
Thanks for your reply! No, I didn't notice the dimensions. I just thought it was an interesting idea. I am trying to add a little more color and beauty to my chicken run (I know, I know...) but the tiny curtain rod broke and I don't know how to use an electric saw to cut a sign. Sigh. Oh well, I guess I can make something. And my birds don't seem to eat that much shell anyway so I think the size might not be an issue.

Thanks for your reply! No, I didn't notice the dimensions. I just thought it was an interesting idea. I am trying to add a little more color and beauty to my chicken run (I know, I know...) but the tiny curtain rod broke and I don't know how to use an electric saw to cut a sign. Sigh. Oh well, I guess I can make something. And my birds don't seem to eat that much shell anyway so I think the size might not be an issue.
Well, if you can find a little bucket or if you use a can (make sure the edges aren't sharp), paint it a bright color.

My first coop was cute. My current coop is NOT, so I feel you! My first coop benefited from a coordinated paint scheme and little odds and ends I picked up at thrift stores. Oh - and matte black hardware.

Best thing I had on my cute coop was a sign I made with my birds' names on them. I got pieces of wood at the craft store (I spent maybe $5). I could have cut my own pieces, but I didn't want to - lol! I just wrote their names on the wood with a permanent marker. It turned out surprisingly well! I also made a sign with my coop's name on a piece of wood I found laying around, a pack of stencils, and a cheap bottle of craft paint.

All this talk of crafting reminds me that I need to pretty mine up, too!!! 🤣🤣🤣

My first coop was cute. My current coop is NOT, so I feel you! My first coop benefited from a coordinated paint scheme and little odds and ends I picked up at thrift stores. Oh - and matte black hardware.

Best thing I had on my cute coop was a sign I made with my birds' names on them. I got pieces of wood at the craft store (I spent maybe $5). I could have cut my own pieces, but I didn't want to - lol! I just wrote their names on the wood with a permanent marker. It turned out surprisingly well! I also made a sign with my coop's name on a piece of wood I found laying around, a pack of stencils, and a cheap bottle of craft paint.

All this talk of crafting reminds me that I need to pretty mine up, too!!! 🤣🤣🤣
Thanks for all the great ideas! I will have to try some of these.

I found a couple of these at TSC (a purple one and a green one). I think they're rabbit feeders but work well for the flock's oyster shell:
grit feeder.jpg

I can't remember what they cost but you might be able to find out online.

Back
Top Bottom