Anybody have trouble out of foxes.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mike Fuson, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Mike Fuson

Mike Fuson In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Just wondering if anyone has had trouble with foxes killing chickens during the day? I have a very large lot, atleast 2 acres, and I am finding chickens with their hear and breast gone. Thats all it eats, and then gets another. I have lost about 20 in the last 2 months. I am assuming it is a fox, could be a bobcat, I know that we also have weasels and minks around here too, but not very many. Any thoughts

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Songster

Jan 25, 2008
    When I "had" ( [​IMG] ) fox troubles, they didn't leave any remains behind. We had a red fox take 6 adult hens one morning. Not a trace of the first 5 were left, we shot him running off with the sixth hen. He had already chewed and eaten her head and neck.

It sounds like you have a Bird of Prey problem to me. Like they are catching the birds, eating what they want and flying off. It sounds like a hawk, or some other raptor, to me. See many hawks in your area?

-Kim

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Yup, around here the foxes take them during the day with people 20 ft away!

4. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    The males hunt during the day and the females at night. Ours will take them not far from where we are standing- very frustrating:(

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    My son was sleeping in the tent with a friend tonight and a red fox came right up to the tent !

My coop is nearby !

made sure its all secure ! Don't know what to do about letting them out tomorrow ?

6. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
  7. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Songster

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Both coons and the over grown rats with pouches do this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: