Anybody have turkeys?

I have a chocolate turkey tom. If you have a turkey tell me what breed it is and if possible show me a pic. If you don't have a turkey and would like one tell me what breed you would get.
We have 1 Sweetgrass tom and 1 bronze hen. Hoping that this year we can find another hen. We also have 1 of their offspring and the hen is sitting on 10 eggs so hopefully those will hatch. I kind of wan tto make a new breed if that is possible. The poult is already starting to get really pretty.

We have 1 Sweetgrass tom and 1 bronze hen. Hoping that this year we can find another hen. We also have 1 of their offspring and the hen is sitting on 10 eggs so hopefully those will hatch. I kind of wan to make a new breed if that is possible. The poult is already starting to get really pretty.
You cannot make a new breed since all domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. You can try for an unnamed variety but none of the unnamed varieties will breed true.

You can play with Porter's Turkey Color Calculator to see what the possibilities are.

Crossing a Sweetgrass with a Bronze will produce Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray poults that will not breed true because they will have two different sets of heterozygous color genes.

i got TONS of wild turkeys hanging out in my backyard 😂 whenever i see them i say
chickens GIF

You cannot make a new breed since all domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. You can try for an unnamed variety but none of the unnamed varieties will breed true.

You can play with Porter's Turkey Color Calculator to see what the possibilities are.

Crossing a Sweetgrass with a Bronze will produce Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray poults that will not breed true because they will have two different sets of heterozygous color genes.
Ok, thanks! So if I had a male and a female Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray turkey they would not make the same variety?? What will they make? Will they be just mutts? Could you help me understand this more? I would like to learn some more info before I sell them to my friends.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks! So if I had a male and a female Bronze Semi-Color Semi-Gray turkey they would not make the same variety?? What will they make? Will they be just mutts? Could you help me understand this more? I would like to learn some more info before I sell them to my friends.
Play with the calculator and it will show you the 6 different possible varieties that can be produced from that pairing. Of course it is not recommended to breed siblings to each other.

They can make more of themselves, Bronze, Black-winged Bronze, Bronze Gray, Cornish Palm and Sweetgrass.

Back
Top Bottom