anybody heard of this type of chicken???

Bi0sC0mp

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Raiford,FLA
saw an ad on cragislist where somebody had a hen and wanted to trade for a pullet. they said the hen was a Key West Island pullet ??? never heard of that before has anybody else

I guess you would call it a Key West Mutt then???
lau.gif

They are ferel(domestic gone wild) chickens from Key West. They are in a similar situation as the Mustang horses out west. Pretty birds, but unwanted by some of the locals. LOL. Unwanted by the chicken haters.. People are actually being paid to trap and remove them because so many people put up a fuss. Good hardy birds. I have a friend who bought like 200 of them to free range on his property as yard ornament, bug-eating, chickens.

Google Key West Chickens and you will get quite a bit of reading, not to mention a bunch of pretty pictures.

LOL. Key West is in a war over these little guys. Wire traps are set to catch them and the chicken-lovers run around and spring the traps or let the birds out. The chicken-haters get rid of them any means neccessary. You know the usual complaints from chicken-haters "they're too loud", "they are tearing up my lawn", "I'm tired of stepping in the mess". LOL.

I think the whole thing is silly, and yes, I have heard of that type of chicken. Most people do consider them they're own breed(kind of like the Mustang horses) and I find them very attractive.

-Kim

Last edited:
They are tiny boogers. Key West is overrun with chickens. But they are all over the Keys. I was at the grocery store the other day, got out of my truck and a rooster cock-a-doodle-dood at me. I about crapped my pants, scared me. Tiny, cute, and LOUD. They are everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom