Anybody here a libertarian?

I find it difficult to relate to one party. I am a conservative. I am not a republican, though I tend to vote that way so as not to "waste my vote" as someone said already. Libertarians tend to be a little to literal for me as far as the constitution goes. What I mean by that is the way they did things back then have to be adjusted for modern times (which can be done without changing a word).

Good luck finding what is best for you!!

I think that most social conservatives would have problems with the libertarians attitudes towards homosexuality, abortion and drug legalization. I also think that their environmental, business, education and other positions would give liberals fits. Their isolationist ideals are far from either Democratic or Republican positions, and would bother people across a large spectrum of polical positions.

I like the idea of third parties, and I wish we had a more parlimentarian approach to government, so that third parties could have more of an effect.

I could easily see the a viable third party come from a split in the Republican party, with old-style, small government fiscal conservatives making one party and the Neo-Cons, who are more concerned with societal issues (education, abortion, homosexuality) forming another party. JMHO

Last edited:
Quote:
Amen....

As for Libertarians.... I've heard of 'em. I have no idea what they are though. I prefer to call myself independent and lean more to the right than the left. I'm almost sure that it will be a Demon-crat or Republi-cant that will totally mess everything up.

It's kinda sad that someone will vote just because of something as petty as which party they are in or whether the candidate is male or female or even their race.

I mostly agree with the libertarian platform but would never support a party that didn't have protection of life from conception to natural death as a central tenet. So no Libertarian party for me.

As for the issues I read on the libertarian website, I agree with drug decriminalization 100% (and no, I dont use drugs), I am pretty neutral on abortion (I would never have one, but it's not a huge issue for me either way) but I am opposed to marriage rights and certain other rights for homosexuals. The foreign policy and immigration stance, IMO, needs work. Everything else, I agree with, including following the constitution to the letter.

Republicans are getting further from the right every day, as evidenced by much that bush did, and all the pork that is sponsered by so called republican congressmen

Some polls show 90% of the population was against the bail out, but they passed it anyways, and it sure wasn't just democrats that voted to pass it. Right now, both of the mainstream parties are in the same boat as far as I am concerned.

Most of the issues people fight over are nothing more than distractions.
I am a conservative on defense, foreign, and economic policies.

Gay marriage? Why are we even talking about this? The politicians
on both sides love this because it distract people from real issues.
If two gays want to be married who am I to say no? Heck, most
hetro marriages are craap anyways.

Abortion? I think it's murder but what is the government supposed
to do? Outlaw it? Can anyone imagine the effect that would have
on womans' health in this country and all the alleyway procedures?
Abortion is a social and cultural issue, not one to be controlled by
the government.

Drugs? They are a disease. All one needs to do is look at the failed
prohibition policies to know criminalization doesn't work.

Hmmm, so far I guess I am Libertarian.

Borders? Secure them! Common sense isn't it? Seems to me like
the gov doesn't want to secure them.

Free markets? Absolutely and nothing historically has worked better.
Some regulation is required but again is common sense.

Isolationalism? No way. This is my biggest gripe with Libertarians and
even many NeoCons. Isolationalism got us Nazi Germany, the Japanese
Empire, and in some ways the Soviet Union.

Oh God I have no identity.
roll.png

Quote:
Here it is mostly a 2 party system. As previously stated, voting for a 3rd party s a waste of your vote. People that do that are mostly just making a statement. We have 1 senator that is an independent. He always votes Republican because he got thrown out of the Democratic party. Independents usually vote Republican anyway.

It would be nice to have a 3rd party that is somewhere between the 2 extremes but it will never happen, because it is a wasted vote and people for the most part don't want to waste their vote. The electoral college is bad enough.

Last edited:
PC, I agree with you, except for the isolationalism -I'm not quite that, but I do think we need to be concerned more with the economics of our own country before we worry about the rest of the world, and I think that's true for all countries. The globalization of all economies isn't working, smaller market circles work better for all involved (except for the very few at the top and we've seen what happens with regards to CEO salaries). Hopefully economics will settle down from the heady peak they reached and countries on a whole will figure out how to support themselves first, then venture out to support the world.

Quote:
I completely agree. Globalization is not something I favor. Smaller markets
are better for humanity and the environment.

Some people think we can sit behind our borders and let the rest of the world go nuts.
That is what I'm against. I believe we must engage the world politically,
economically, and, if needed, militarily.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom