Anybody mixing breeds for your "perfect" chicken?

What does poulardize meant? I know what caponizing is.

These are some neat crosses people are talking about making. I am interested in the Super Blue Egg Layers/Sapphires... those would be cool to own.

If you have an incubator, go to the Hatching Eggs for Sale section---username DMRippy pretty much always has some for sale. From what I hear she's great to deal with and has great stock.

I'm pretty much up on the genetics of sex links, thanks. I used the barred rooster to get barred hens so I could use them for sex link breeding. It was a multi-generational project. It was the easiest way I could get to barred, colored egg laying hens. I came up with these ladies.....

who lay huge green or blue eggs

pretty much daily---they're the bomb for layers! I first put them under my part Wellie rooster

for random colored laying sex link pullets. Right now I've got them under my splash Ameraucana for blue egg laying blue sex link pullets.....

I've got just under 2 dozen eggs in the incubator, evenly split between those hens and barred Hollands, all under the splash Ameraucana. Candled last night and everything looks good!
Neat project. I'm jealous of the potential for blue sexlink EEs.

Hey, any time you want an enabler for more chickens, I'm your lady
lol.png

I did the Amerucana/leghorn cross and now have some really nice sized pale blue eggs from the hens. They maintained the slightly neurotic/flighty character of the original leghorn but two of them have been the most broody hens I've ever owned, attempting to set eggs for months on end. Coloration has been consistently primarily white with some scattered dark splashes and the characteristic amerucana muff. I may run them back with the amerucana roo again to see if I can darken the eggs a bit.

I am glad to see I am not the only one working on making Olive Egger Sex Links.... I am pretty early in the project, currently I have chicks with a Black Americuna Mother and a Black Copper Maran father. I also have some young Cockerels that are Maran Sex Links who will be bred over the black Americuna as well as some some Americunas I bought at he hardware store the day he hatched. They aren't any particular color though, 2 of them look like welsumers but with blue feathers instead of black, and one is orangish red. Probably breed the Orangish red one with my production Reds or Bantam RI Reds. I also have Delawares and Columbian Wyandottes that I will be breeding. Goal is to get a Red, Cuckoo/Barred, and Columbian Olive eggers. then start making sex link hatching eggs. I also want to get some Leghorns to breed into this to boost egg production, maturity speed, and reduce feed consumption. I currently have no leghorns.

I think I will just take everything and add Nn....... mmmmm barred Nn, green egg laying Nn yup got those.... leghorn Nn yup throw in a little RIR. ok you get the picture I love a little Necked Neck. I do plan to keep the EE and Americauna seperate to keep the blue/green eggs comming and I have a few wellsummer and Cuckoo Marans for the Dark Chockolate eggs

Back
Top Bottom