Anybody setting today (3-25) or tomorrow (3-26)??

count me in my little easter egger decided she is golng to set. been broody for a week. i went down to collect eggs a half hour ago and she was sitting on 6 eggs. 3 white and 3 brown. so i decided to let her go for it. i marked them with a marker. i have 2 roosters in my flock a pure white rock and a pure white leghorn. my hens are 7 gold comets, 2 rhode island red, 9 white leghorn, 3 easter eggers, 1 black marans that hasnt layed since i bought her in october,

Hey that is pretty exciting! You are in Maine too!

Draig, your chickie is very pretty! Good luck with her!!

Here's my broody girl, Sparkles, before I gave her any eggs:

She's a black Ameraucana, almost a year old exactly.

I candled a few of the eggs really quickly (in the dimness of her nest) and I can see that we have some developing chick action! Yay!!

That's great Aumlet!

I took some pics a little while ago... So without further ado, here is Daisy!

Sorry, the date is wrong on the camera, those were taken this evening...

Okay here is my broody girl i changed out the plastic eggs for real ones last night. She does not have a name but Im thinking if she turns in to a good momma we might name her. So I guess my set date would be the 25th of march
big_smile.png

Aww, Daisy is so pretty, she looks like a good Momma. :)

Thank you! She is definitely protective! She is biting me every time I check to see if she stole any eggs. But that will be a good thing after her chicks are hatched! Once they are a week or so old, she will be expected to protect them while free-ranging. Her mom did this WONDERFULLY!

I am starting to think that broodiness is something that can be passed along from Mother hen to chicks! Or that when chicks are raised by a broody, they think that that is what they are supposed to do. The reason that I say this is that I have a sex-link chicken that went broody about 2 years ago, she hatched one chick (a hen) and before that chick was a year old, she went broody, and hatched 5 chicks (one of which is Daisy). She is now broody and setting (at less than a year old. She was only hatched in August!!

I am setting 102 eggs this evening...Mille Duccles,Mottled Duccles,EEs,Wheaten Amers,Coronation/light and Speckiled Sussex,Self Blue OEGB,Sumatra,and bantam and giant cochins!!!

Hey Aumlet! How many did you set? I will candle, probably on Wednesday night... My supplier was late getting me the eggs, so I had to push back setting them until Wednesday last week...

Back
Top Bottom