Anybody tried UPS for shipping eggs?

DANNY

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
Anyone tried shipping eggs with somebody other than the usps. They really don't seem to care. I was thinking Fedex, UPS or DHL. There has got to be a better way!

Quote:
There isn't. One is just as bad as the other. In fact all your eggs go by FedX, because they have contract for carrying the mail.

I think DHL closed, maybe I am wrong.
I would be afraid to do UPS or Fedex for a couple of reasons. One big one is they are always in such a hurry and will throw a box at your doorstep ring the bell and leave. But to chose between the 2 I woudl try FedEx over UPS. Just my personal opinion.

DHL stopped domestic deliveries in the US a few months back....right after hubby and I got our print shop approved as an authorized shipper and they sent us this expensive light-up sign to post outside our store.
gig.gif

We are now an authorized fedex shipper and so far we have only had 2 packages with problems. One was the customer's fault...they did a crappy packaging job on a framed piece of artwork...so of course the glass broke. The second one they somehow trashed before it even left our city. They sent an apology note and a check for the value of the item right away.

We have had good support from the corporate office and the drivers are friendly and helpful on my route. The express guy works for fedex corporate and the ground guy is an independent contractor.

As for UPS, I have had the same driver for my house (and now my business) for over 15 years. Great guy. Only a few packages have looked like they were dragged behind the truck and we get stuff shipped in all the time. I think it just depends on your area. In Colorado Springs, the UPS people seem to be good people too.

Last edited:
I agree with all non-seem to be better than others. However, I noticed something with how the packages were marked and how they arrived. Of the packages of shipped eggs my friend and I got this year which was around 10+. Those marked fragile eggs, looked like a cement truck hit them. Those marked fragile had some dents in them. Those not marked anything came in perfect condition.

These were all USPS. I am not saying that carriers are rougher on boxes marked fragile - but I did have a carrier say not to mark the boxes... I dont and all of my boxes have arrived in great shape.

Thankfully I've just received two egg packages which were in very good condition from USPS. I recently raised heck with them for a box of eggs that was not just damaged but almost destroyed -- way beyond what could be considered reasonable.
My local post office is wonderful, the problems have been at the shipper's ends.
The last box I rec'd was marked "LIVE FRAGILE PERISHABLE HATCHING EGGS" on all sides of the box. The USPS also had put a special handling sign on it. I don't know what helped but I was glad to receive it in good condition.

I haven't shipped eggs using UPS but recently recieved eggs shipped UPS the box was torn to shredds and had a huge gaping hole in it. Lost some of the eggs out of the hole and what was left were pretty well scrambled,broken,etc... It was a horrible experience. I would never use them. And will never buy from someone who does again......

I would much rather have USPS hands down have had some broken eggs with them but never the mess I had with UPS............... Have recieved over 10 shipments of eggs USPS and very few lost/broken eggs. Eggs are fragile and from what I have seen the foam egg holders are the way to go. I got two boxes with 48+ eggs in foam not one egg broken.

Let me say that when mailing out eggs one should put "DO NOT X-RAY" along with "FRAGILE HATCHING EGGS" if they want on the box. It seems that the ones not marked FRAGILE do come in better shape. I just got a box of eggs today that was shipped USPS and only lost 2 eggs the rest were perfect. They had opened the box for whatever reason.......Probably to see what was leaking from it? Hope they didn't get X-Rayed. But loosing one or two per shipment is OKAY with me compared to loosing half or all with UPS......

My Choice will be USPS unless something better comes along in the future

Wish you could email/text/fax eggs LOL

A lot of the time your packages are in shipping, they aren't being handled by people. They're going down mechanical conveyor belts and such. I've working in a lot of different shipping places and I'd guess that most damage is due not to human negligence but due to problems with the machines. I've seen a lot of boxes get hung up and smushed on the conveyors. Once one gets stuck, the resulting pile-on behind it will totally flatten the first box and do a lot of damage to all the other ones caught in the backup. I've witnessed little to no actual negligence on the part of the human handlers.

I think a lot of people picture their package going from one set of human hands to another, when in fact, it's carried by machine more than anything else, and machines don't know or care what's in the boxes.

I think it varies wildly from place to place. Here in central Maine the USPS is about as bad as it gets. I have had them loose packages in the local office. Once I went into the post office 3 times a week for a month checking to see if a package had arrived. One day after entering the office to see if the package had arrived (which I was told it had not) I went home and called the larger regional office to track the package. I was informed that it had been in the local post office for pick up for about a month. He called the local office and requested the location of the package. Low and behold, it was in a corner where "we sometimes put things, but no one had looked".

Recently I have had them loose birth certificates that were shipped to me via overnight mail. Not to mention that in non holiday/weekend scenarios guaranteed overnight means 2 to 3 days. If there is a weekend or a holiday involved then overnight means a week. The only upside is that you can get your money back sometimes if they fail to get the package to you or to where it is supposed to go on time. Sometimes......

Back
Top Bottom