Anybody use this feeder for quail?

_Randall_

Songster
10 Years
Nov 3, 2009
Grenada, Ms
Just wondering if there is any waste with this feeder ........... http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...nt/harris-farms-hanging-feeder-10-lb--2160034 ??

I've got 3 of these ........ http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...quipment/feeder-chick-slide-top-18-in-2167531 , but am getting tired of filling each of them every day. One thing about them, there's no waste.

The 10 lb. feeder has the little dividers in the base to keep down on the "feed scratching", but didn't know if they could still rake feed out any way.

We use them and some metal ones like it. Most times we place that feeder in a larger dish so the birds cannot scratch it out of the feeder.

Here is the only photo I could find if how we do it, it's a metal feeder but same as the pens with plastic feeders:

1reevefeed.jpg

This feeder http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/chicken-equipment/feeder-chick-slide-top-18-in-2167531
is
actuality better for coturnix quail. There is a plastic version which is what I use. I do have to fill it with about 1# of food every day.

I'm not sure what variety/species of quail you are asking about (and have been chastised for even asking) but coturnix quail can empty out most hopper type feeders in a matter of min..
The flat feeders work best for me as far as waste goes, but the work is a pain.

i also use the rabbit feeder so i can fill it from the outside and yes they can empty it so i cut a peice of chicken wire and stuck in the opening and i have no more problems
smile.png
just make sure to get the solid bottom feeder or put something over the mesh in the bottom so the feed want fall out the bottom

These are the feeders I use for Quail.

IMG_0298.jpg

There is NO WASTE....
Not bad to fill with a bucket that has a little spout on it. I use 2 gallon plastic water buckets.
I have 2 of these in my Flight Pen with 90 Coturnix in it and they don't empty them in a day.

These have been raved about by other BYC members in earlier posts.
If you would like this fellows contact information contact me.

He also makes smaller ones for Button Quail.
Again NO WASTE...

IMG_0296-1.jpg

I made a simple mod to the long stick metal ones, and it significantly reduced waste from outrageous to of no concern to me:
Simply use two long pieces of tapes, one apply outside, one inside, to block the lower half of all holes, and the sticky side of the two pieces of tapes meet each other through the hole. I didn't want the quails get stuck on the tape, thus why two tapes.
The hole should be only large enough for them to stick their head inside to eat and not feeling strangled
lol.png
, but not large enough for them to have the room to scratch and wiggle their head around, and when they manage to scratch their head in the feed, the tape would stop most of the feed from flying out. I found blocking about 1/2 of the hole is good.

Filling it and the water bottle does give me about 10 minutes work every day. But with under 20 birds, it is very managable. And I combine it into the same time slot to pick up the eggs.

In fact for any type of feeder, I think as long as some mod is made to limit the size of the access opening, it would help. It would further help if the surface of the feed is somewhat below the lower edge of the access opening.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom