Anybody Want Free Baby Ducks (NY)?

sussexgal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 25, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
Maria, my mixed breed duck is sitting a nest. Would anybody be interested in the hatchlings? I really don't want anymore, but was thinking this might be a good way for someone to get started in ducks without having to pay for them. PM me of you're interested. It would be for pickup only.... I live about 20 minutes south of Utica, NY.

YES I DO!!!

But my parents would never go for that. -__-;;

We're not that far apart actually! Couple hours maybe.
big_smile.png

(But I make it a habit not to tell people where I live so, sorry about that.)

My dad isn't thrilled to be getting more birds.

Should I buy adult birds?

I've heard that it's a bad thing to do, so I'm going to check them over really well, but I don't have a place to quarantine...
sad.png

There goes my flock if something's wrong.

Or should I just order chicks from online?
Even if they're coming from California??

ACK. So many questions!
I should have posted this as a new topic...

LOL You're funny Duck Keeper.

If it were me, I wouldn't order chicks to be shipped from California. Is there a breeder closer that has what you want? If you purchase adult birds, you really really (highly recommend it) really should quarantine! One standard size breed bird + one large dog crate - works great. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I have a wire dog crate, and a wire rabbit cage, I suppose I could put a tarp over them...? If I did pick these birds up this weeked, they're Silver Appleyards (three; a drake and two hens), and (from what I can tell) nobody around has them. I ordered from McMurray, and they all were fine (one had crusty eyes, but she's fine now). Metzer farms has a lower ordering limit, that's the reason I'd go through them... -sigh-

Yay! I'm funny. =P

Funny funny? Or funny strange? Lol.

You make me laugh.. so, funny funny
lol.png

Tarp is good.... Can you set them out of the weather? Like in an out building? With chickens, a 3 week quaranteen is recommended.... with ducks, I'm not so sure. Perhaps someone else on the boards can help you with that question. Seems as tho ducks are way hardier than chickens.... we still have half of March to get thru and the rest of April. I'm just thinking about the late spring blizzard we usually get every year - that's why I questioned maybe sticking them in a building? Good Luck with your new ducks
smile.png
Nice you got your eye on an unusual breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom