Anybody with a Jeep?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Chicken Salad, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    I'm gonna have to replace my soft-top on my Jeep Wrangler. Three questions for anybody who's had to do this:

1. Is it hard to do? Can one person do it?
    2. Did you upgrade from standard 18ml to the 30ml? If you did, did you notice a difference in ride noise or warmth?
    3. I'm trying to decide if I want to change colors. I have a green Sahara with the factory tan top for 2000 models, and was thinking of the black denim top...but it's hard to know what that actually looks like.

I love my Jeep. When I'm pulling (tree out of the woods or whatever) she digs in and tugs like a puppy pulling a rope. I gotta get her a winch, too - but those dang things are expensive.

thanks,

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a 1995 wrangler and a 2002 I take the top off all the time.

What do you mean by replace? do you mean all the hardware will stay intact but you want to jsut replace the cloth? On the 95 its a bit tricky because you have to put the bar across the windshield to hold the top on. The new design of the 2002 is a lot easier.

I just went with the factory top and its fine, I dont use it in the winter so I dont know if it would be warmer. I also have the bikini top for the older model and its great a well to just throw on quick

I LOVE my jeep too, really I think that anyone that has one (or two in my case) LOVES them. I would personally stick with the tan top that the Saharas come with but thats just personal preference I guess.

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Hubby got the 95 Sahara Jeep and he got both of the hard top and soft top but never used the soft top...sitting in the box practically brand new! [​IMG]

I dont think I would like any other color or it may be certain colors offered in the Jeep catalog that Hubby gets from time to time. I'd prefer the tan because it was eye pleasing but its all up to you if you like to "customize" the Jeep to your taste.

Hubby loves his stick shift........I hated it! Wanted those automatic Jeeps LOL!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yep, we've got one - broken down under all the other garbage in the garage that no one can part with. Including a spa. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Wouldn't a black top be very hot?

Rufus

6. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

EweSheep - manual vs auto...my brother's a mechanic and he advised me to get the automatic 4.0, 6 cyl because of the torque ratio being better than a manual tranny. He even wrote a article about how that is. I can't explain it (I'm auto-disabled...*giggle*.) but I can send you his article. He says that all/most of the Monster Trucks are auto.

As it happens - wouldn't you know - I actually saw a green Jeep with the black denim top today...didn't like it. I'll keep my tan top but I might go the 30ml fabric (and maybe the flip top...). It goes better with the chocolate-chip camo tire cover (my son's old gear bag from SandLand) anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by