ColoradoGirl321

Hatching
Aug 7, 2023
Hello, everyone. I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I couldn't find a better category. This is graphic, so please, if you are already having a difficult week, don't continue reading. This experience has traumatized me to the point of being able to think of little else for days now.
After a gaze of raccoons attacked my hens one night, I ended up having to euthanize a hen who was left suffering. Unfortunately, I think I made her suffer worse than what she already had been. I am feeling very traumatized by this, so I may not be remembering everything accurately. I used the broomstick method, and after I pulled up on her legs, I swear I felt several pops, instead of just one. I don't remember if she flapped or not; as I said, it was a very traumatizing experience for me. Anyway, I gathered her up, because I thought she was was dead, but after what felt like a couple of minutes, I could feel her breathing. Imagine my horror?!?! So, obviously, I took her back in the shed and did it again. This time, I remember for sure that she started flapping (although I don't remember if I felt a pop) and died. I did notice afterward that her beak was shattered. 😢So, not only did she have to go through that twice, but for her beak to be shattered, I can only assume that at some point the broom slipped and was on top of her head or her face was tucked under. If I am remembering correctly, why several pops with the tug, instead of just one? The only thing I could think of was that maybe several vertebra dislocated? And if I pulled hard enough to dislocate several vertebra, wouldn't it have dislocated the head, too? I'm wondering why she didn't die with the first try? For this reason, I don't think I will ever have chickens again. I'm not willing to practice, until I get good at euthanizing. Has anyone had something similar happen? Any ideas what I may have done wrong?

Hello, everyone. I'm not sure if this is the proper place to post this, but I couldn't find a better category. This is graphic, so please, if you are already having a difficult week, don't continue reading. This experience has traumatized me to the point of being able to think of little else for days now.
After a gaze of raccoons attacked my hens one night, I ended up having to euthanize a hen who was left suffering. Unfortunately, I think I made her suffer worse than what she already had been. I am feeling very traumatized by this, so I may not be remembering everything accurately. I used the broomstick method, and after I pulled up on her legs, I swear I felt several pops, instead of just one. I don't remember if she flapped or not; as I said, it was a very traumatizing experience for me. Anyway, I gathered her up, because I thought she was was dead, but after what felt like a couple of minutes, I could feel her breathing. Imagine my horror?!?! So, obviously, I took her back in the shed and did it again. This time, I remember for sure that she started flapping (although I don't remember if I felt a pop) and died. I did notice afterward that her beak was shattered. 😢So, not only did she have to go through that twice, but for her beak to be shattered, I can only assume that at some point the broom slipped and was on top of her head or her face was tucked under. If I am remembering correctly, why several pops with the tug, instead of just one? The only thing I could think of was that maybe several vertebra dislocated? And if I pulled hard enough to dislocate several vertebra, wouldn't it have dislocated the head, too? I'm wondering why she didn't die with the first try? For this reason, I don't think I will ever have chickens again. I'm not willing to practice, until I get good at euthanizing. Has anyone had something similar happen? Any ideas what I may have done wrong?
It can be awful when you don't know I have a plumbers friend like a butcher tool take the head off fast bucket with a lid helps too... I am sorry we ever have to.

I'm so sorry. :hugs
I also had some terrible, traumatic experiences when I first started. Sometimes I wonder if the methods touted have ever actually been tried by some of the people who recommend them. :confused:
This is not a hands off method, but what I do, for many of the same reasons as the author. I have never, ever had a botched one this way. I still dislike doing it very much, but sometimes it's just a necessary thing. I have a pair of dedicated loppers that are always kept clean and sharp, and only used for this.
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html

@ColoradoGirl321 , keep in mind that though she was still breathing, it didn't mean she was conscious. You ended her suffering the best you knew how, which was caused by the raccoon and not by you. Still, i'm very sorry it caused you such emotional trauma.
so we decided to invest in a euthanasia chamber and that works very well.
Did you buy it or make it yourself? If you bought it, where did u get it?

I’m so sorry that this happened. A similar thing happened to me with cervical dislocation. Using my hands I did it to my rooster, but I don’t believe I did it right because I saw him blink. It was only until the next day that I realized the violent flapping while he burned was not a muscle reaction, but he was still alive for a few seconds. His head was definitely out of place too.

It hurts to think you caused an animal suffering, but when I look back I don’t feel as bad. At least their suffering is over and you can learn from experience.

Back
Top Bottom