anyone border(sp)horses??

That's about normal for basic board around here. It's usually about $250 for rough board and about $350-$400 for full board (horse kept in a stall, turn out, etc.). I've seen some places with indoor arena access that have board prices of around $800 or so. Depending on what the farm you are looking at is offering, I would say $300 is a pretty decent price. Just make sure the farm matches what you wish to do with your horse, including arena access, trailering policies, hours of operation, access to trails, etc.

Depends on the area and what amenities are offered.

It would be cheap in northern metro Detroit/suburban Flint area if it had an indoor arena, offered blanketing, jumps, heated observation room, washrack and nice tack rooms.

It would be expensive in rural northern Michigan no matter what the amenities.

I paid $300 a month for stall board at a place between Ann Arbor and Hillsdale, MI that was a 3 day event barn with a large outdoor, jump course, mats in stalls, trails, indoor arena, trailer parking, they gave my horse supplements and didn't mind my daughter coming out and playing in the round pen while I rode.

I currently pay $225 a month for pasture board with an indoor, nice tack room, supplements (I pay, they give), trailer parking, trails and state land nearby. Plus, if my horse gets injured or ill, they'll stable her at no extra cost until she recovers. They also don't mind if DD comes out since she and their son are the same age.

Last edited:
Well it is a friend of mine she offers feed twice a day grain once a day, she turns out at 630 am in at 6-7 pm in summer a little earlier in winter about 6. She cleans stalls provides bedding. I can go whenever I want over 7 days a week between 7 am 7pm. No indoor arena but has round pen and 5 acre pasture only 3 other horses are there one cow.

"It depends".

Around big cities, stables that are convenient to the city (within 45 min drive or so) that have an indoor and out door ring in usable shape, good turnout with safe fences, and quality hay and bedding, can easily run twice that.

Way out from anywhere, people can't demand quite as high a boarding fee unless they have a really special place - maybe a well known trainer or instructor comes in frequently or something like that.

But in general, these days, 300 dollars a month is kind of cheap. It's hard to pay for help, grain, hay and bedding alone for one horse for that, unless you either skimp or have some farm suppliers. Some people do all the work themselves and don't hire anyone, and can set a lower board fee that way.

Usually it means they don't quite have everything. Maybe you can do without something. In nice climates, an indoor arena might not be needed - or in really cold areas, you might not want to ride all winter, even if they do have an indoor ring.

Last edited:
Property taxes are fairly high in NH, right? If so, $300 is probably reasonable.

You can always "shop around" maybe check on dreamhorse.com or look in the phone book or ask at the tack shop what other places charge to compare.

you can look on CL also to see what people are advertising.
My area full board starts at $200. But it also depends on the area as $300 is not unheard of at the eventing stables.

Plus which, it is pretty unusual IME to be able to make a decision about boarding barns based on "what's the best deal". Much of the time it is hard to find even ONE really fully-acceptable option... *safe* fences, *lots of* grassy turnout without dangerous footing or dangerous objects, good-sized bright well-ventilated stalls (since finding good-quality pasture board is often even harder), safe barn and riding arena, sensible management without any really problematic quirks (like, you have to use their [lousy] farrier, or horses all have to be fed lotsa grain, or no hay after 5 pm, etc), and fellow boarders that do not drive you 'round the bend.

I have to warn you that doing business with friends sometimes does not work from *either* a business or friendship angle. Sometimes it is ok, just recognize that it may need to be a very *strong* friendship
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom