Anyone built a predator proof coop

I think we have LOL Nothing even gets into the run let alone the coop. We built the coop just like a small house. Very secure and then burried the wire under ground all the way around the coop with a really nice strong door to the run. I don't worry about my chickens at all. Dogs have tried to dig under with no luck. As soon as they hit the fence under ground they leave and give up.

Here is a pic of mine. Of course the pop door has a door on it too and it's got hardware cloth screen over a 2*2 frame and we have a heavy duty lock on it also

coopunfinished.jpg

Coop.jpg

And our second coop:

100_7313.jpg

00068.jpg

00066.jpg

Were now working on our third coop (for meat chickens) should be done with it in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
We have. My son built this coop for me. It started out as the frame of a carport. He reinforced it with 2 x 4 and my grandson dug down two feet around the perimiter of the coop. Its walls are metal roofing panels that were given to us. It has a shingled roof. There is a 1 foot high open eave all around the coop. That is covered in 1 x 1 hardware cloth. The run is made from 2 x 4 welded wire. That is also dug down 2 feet. It is covered on top with the same welded wire. Inside the runs is chicken wire to prevent anything from grabbing a chicken through the fence. I leave the pop doors open when its hot and so far nothing has gotten in. Thsi coop is divided into three sections housing my different breeds.
IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

we have.. we used hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. we let them out to roam during the day but they have to go abck in at night. Racoons can't get them this way.

So far so good. We have everything here in S Central TX. Raccoons, skunks, owls, hawks, Mexican Eagles, opossum, stray cats, gray fox, even ring tail cats. Have to keep top covered and protected as well . Let them out sometimes under close supervision.
30109_100_0189.jpg

30109_100_0101.jpg

30109_100_0125.jpg

30109_100_0112.jpg

My 8 girls like to roost all the way up on the rafter bar. I've added some more bars at different levels to aid them in getting all the way up there. Someday they aren't going to fit in between the rafter and the poly sheet ceiling.

I hung up zip lock bags with water in them to chase off the flies. Worked wonderfully. Also dust the area with a DE PY mix occasionally.

Last edited:
our coop is essentially a small house.... wood roof, walls, and floor... with latches and locks on the doors. For the run we buried the chicken wire about 1 ft deep, with broken glass at the very bottom. Seems to be working so far!

Hangin Wit My Peeps- you have a beautiful boxer!!!

Built this two years ago... and so far no predator break-in. I've had possom and raccoon prints all over the house here recently... around the windows, along side the house, and even on the roof. In fact, I set a trap down there this evening. They've tried to get in before but havent been able to do so. Raccoons get the corn in the garden sometimes, which is next the the chicken house. But they have never got in. The pens are covered in hardware wire and topped with galvanized fencing. The hardware wire is buried 6 inches to one foot below ground. There is really no way a critter could get in as far as I know.

chicken01.jpg

chicken02.jpg

chicken08.jpg

chicken14.jpg

chicken07.jpg

g to my page and you can check out my coop, I think a preditor needs some demolation tools if he really really likes chickens
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom