Anyone buy eggs from Medlin farms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acooper7

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Has anyone bought serama eggs from Medlin farms? I bought some from Ebay from this farm and I received 19 eggs and tried to incubate them. Well I ended up with 6 good eggs that made it to the last day or so but then they died before they hatched. I read on a serama website to stay away from this guy (this was after I had already gotten the eggs) that he was bad news! So, I am out $48.00 that was my total price for the eggs including shipping. Plus I bought a new incubator, but I can always use that, so that's OK. I still want some seramas though, they are so cute! I guess maybe I should buy live chickens so I know what I am getting!

If they grew to term, maybe there was some variable that wasn't good enough for them to hatch. Maybe humidity? Or not...Maybe he has too many hens to a roo? Not sure if that necessarily justifies a bad review on him.

Hey, Mayberry Saint, I'm new to all this forum stuff but, what does "thread jack" mean? lol.

13 of those eggs didn't even start to develop. I just wonder how long he had kept the eggs before he sent them to me. Eggs older than 7 days shouldn't be used for incubating, I was kinda hoping for at least a couple chicks after all was said and done but I ended up with nothing. The only thing I can figure was maybe the humidity was to low? The temp stayed steady all the way through.
He had no bad feedback on Ebay, but on the U.S. Serama website, they had a page of people to avoid who are not 'true' serama breeders and his name was one of them. I guess some people are just out to make money! The eggs I received were actually no smaller than some of my regular chickens eggs. I was thinking they would be really small. I read that it takes 5 serama eggs to equal 1 normal chicken egg?

Thread jack is when someone replies in a thread and changes the subject (like hijacking the thread, thus the term thread jack was developed). Anyway, I thought it was a funny coincidence that there are two A Coopers on this forum...small world...
smile.png

Thanks for the info Mayberry Saint, I learn something new everyday on this site! lol
I really wasn't creative when I came up with my username I couldn't think of anything else!
I liked the stories about how everyone else came up with their names though. Very interesting!
Next time maybe I can come up with something more original. lol!

Hey I was in Cooperstown once----ok not the samething
big_smile.png

With Serama eggs that is above average -

Which is exactly why I will not sell Serama eggs
the hatch rate is terrible and no matter what people say they expect a hatch- 2 in 12 are about the norms - and the die in shell is very common
if you had set any other breed you would probably have had a great hatch - It isn't the seller - it is the breed - keeping in mind exceptions to the rule doesn't change the rule so you'll hear of an occasional great/ exceptional hatch but 2 out of 12 is all that can be expected.

Warnings on Serama breeders I can send you some
read those with an open mind- meaning Serama breeding is the most competitive thing i have ever seen and can boarder on brutal it is a buyer beware
depending on location and season if something grows you got what you paid for hatches are never guranteed

Another thing, from what you say in your post it sounds as though this is your first time hatching with an incubator. If so, there are a lot of variables any one of which could had doomed your hatch. To say nothing of the poor hatch rate that just comes because the eggs were shipped. Then there's the Serama thing that Shari talks about. If this is your first bator hatch, you picked the worst breed possible to start with. Maybe learning your bator first would be a help. Then buy some adult birds and try hatching their eggs. imho

I don't see any need to bad feedback the seller on this one.

Last edited:
shipped serama eggs and then 6 out of 19 making it that far, and this being your first time incubating, that's pretty good. i'm sorry the 6 didn't make it though.

Hey there! All of the above and more are true when it comes to Serama eggs.

One thing to keep in mind... just like in dogs and cats and horses, not everyone is breeding with the same goal in mind. Some folks breed for performance (race horses may not win a beauty contest but better be fast), some breed for production, others for obedience and yet others for conformational beauty. And, some just for fun and or money.

With that said, you aren't going to find in any breed or species every single breeder being of like mind and having the same goals. Even if there is an established Standard of perfection!

Those bashing other breeders are not really accomplishing anything but carrying on in a negative manner... very unbecoming if you ask me.

You, as the purchaser, should be doing research to find breeders that are producing the kind of animals that you want to breed yourself. If you like what they produce, then that is really all that matters.

I have had very good results with shipped Serama eggs. Upwards of 50% and my friend Jim has had close to 75% - he's a very experienced incubator hatcher. What I haven't had great results with are the quality of the chicks I've gotten from those eggs. I have culled (given away) all but 2 from over 20 recently and those 2 are questionable but since they are hens, get a longer review period. I have a very specific idea of what I want in my Serama and so, have my own goals in mind.

What part of the country do you live in? I'm moving to WA in roughly a month - if you are close, I can always swap some eggs with you are something and you can give them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom