Anyone Caponize?

FlipFlopFarmer

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
amid organized chaos,Louisiana
Do any of you do it, is it difficult, does it make a big difference, what breeds do you do it with...... Reason for my inquiry, I want to make the most out of extra roos headed to freezer camp. I always have 2 or 3 of different breeds, and was wondering if this would be worth me looking into.

I've read up on it, but am nowhere near attempting. I have also heard and read from various sources that if you take Brahma cockerels and separate them from any female access (keep them virgins), you can accomplish pretty close to the same thing. Don't know if it's true or not or if it applies to other breeds as well, but the sources have been pretty reliable ones, so something to consider.

My husband and I tried it. Actually, he tried it while I hid around the corner. He was unsuccessful on two attempts. The 3rd try I helped - having two people makes a big difference, I think. We were able to remove one testicle on that bird before we aborted the mission. That guy healed up just fine, it's just really hard to find the testicle that is below the rib. The books make it look so easy. The thing I found weird is that it's not like a dead animal where you open it, with these live birds, there is blood flowing - there was a lot of blood. It does take practice - I think the recommended age is 6 weeks or so. Search on this site - there's a lot of information.

Good luck - let us know how it goes!

i just noticed the archives at the top of this section of meat birds, and i was very informative, it showed pics ( a lil blurry), but i appreciate very much. I will get a book first, and you tube it then give it a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom