Anyone deaf or hoh?

(raising hand)

I've been HOH since birth. Nerve damage but my guess was when Mom was 6 mos along, I decided to be impatient and wanted out LOL! I was roughly a pound and 34 oz (or something like that). Back in those days, they rarely ever dealt with premies like we do today. So they stuck me in O2 enclosed bassinet and it may have damaged my hearing as well as my eyesight which I had to have some magnifying glasses. I was and still is the ONLY deaf person in my family in both sides.

Growing up was hard but I would not have it any other way in how I was educated. Primarily in regular schools or how the deaf community would say, "oral" schools. I refused to be in deaf schools, one, I didnt want to be away from my family and two I was comfortable with my co-existance with the hearing and deaf people which I know it was an extra benefit for me as a person I am. I didn't know sign language until I was ten years old when my best friend taught me the ABC in finger spelling then using hand signs, the ESL (English sign language) with a few ASL thrown for a good measure if I do not know how to sign a certain word. I do not understand ASL too well, too many words have been omitted and throws me off with my good English skills, one of the best students they had for English and I can get "wordy" LOL! Sure I faced discrimination often and still to this day but not as bad it used to be "deaf are dumb" type of sterotypes. Now you rarely hear that because the higher percentage of people are HOH.

Socially, I do not mingle with the deaf community in my town. I am more polite to them and will talk to them if I am in the mood. I lip read and speak very well (with an accent LOL). My hubby is hearing and nothing wrong with my dd except for being "selectively hearing" mode.

Since my TDD was broken (dd poured water on it a few years back and it didnt work anymore), I depend on hubby or my mother to do phone calls but I will do everything possible for online messages or email companies or questions to the utliity companies. And pay a few bills on there too!

I depend on my TV to provide CC all the time. My father is now HOH and he would only use the CC for noisy crowds.

Yes I do wear hearing aids but they suck when you only can have certain type or limited $$$$$$ on an aid that the insurance wants you to have instead what you know it is best for me. GRRRRRR! I am very very dependent on it.

Deafs are facing discrimination constantly and you just don't see them too often unless they are assigned to a mental handicap friendly place of employments, mostly resturants. I had a good job, was an insurance claims adjustor/processor but when I got terminated, I went out seeking another job thru hospitals, temp services and doctor's offices which I had nearly 10 years experience in this type of job. Every ONE of them turned me down politely......they would need to hire or pull someone else to do my phone job if they hire me and therefore, it would cost them more money or lose work for the other person that is doing MY job. I know they know of Relay but it takes them too long to communicate in threesomes.....caller--------->relay person-------------->receiver, then receiver ----------->relay person------------>caller. A simple phone call would take roughly ten minutes to get some data and their SSN to enter the information in what they are requesting while it would take 20-30 minutes to get the same amount of information being asked and the waiting time. Employers are losing money on the relay calls.

I haven't found the perfect cell phone nor we have one now.

I started losing my hearing over 20 years ago. I started having problems w/my ears, mainly my right ear. The doctor thought I had a reoccurring inner ear infection. He'd prescribe a course of antibiotics, the symptoms would clear up, and I'd be fine. Then, one day I took my young son and a neighbor's daughter down to the lake near us. I'm not sure if my son was even 2 at the time, and the neighbor's daughter was maybe 8. We had an inflatable boat. I paddled this across the lake to the swimming beach. But then, I got so dizzy I couldn't even stand up. I left the kids w/some teenagers I knew, laid on an air mattress and paddled my way back across the lake. It was sheer will power that kept me on my feet long enough to get my car, drive it down to the beach, get the kids and go home. I had to leave the boat. I couldn't row it back, and the kids were to small to do it. I had to call my mom up to come over and watch the kids. If I got up to use the bathroom, the first thing I'd do was throw up. I went to an ENT after this, and was diagnosed w/Meniere's Disease.

In a way, I'm lucky. Many people w/this disease quickly lose their hearing, and will get vertigo attacks so badly that they're basically disabled. This summer was the worst that I've had for vertigo in years, but finally figured out what was causing my flare up. (Unlike most root beers, Barq's has caffeine. I cannot drink caffeinated coffee or soda, and I was drinking a Barq's a week at a local hay auction.) I still have the majority of my hearing, and most people are shocked to learn that I have problems because I hear things that they don't. But, when I first learned that I had this condition, I trained myself to listen, not just to hear, so if there's a sound that's out of place, I hear it. But don't ask me to watch most TV shows w/out the CC on. I can't understand everything they're saying. And, don't turn away from me if you're talking to me. Plus, if there's other noise in the background, I may not hear you.

I lost my hearing due to a virus while taking immunosuppresant medication. Or that's the best guess according to the doctors. It's about 40% in both ears and I have terrible tinnitus(ringing). I've been to several ENTs who just seemed interested in selling me $6000 in hearing aids. I did buy a cheap pair off Ebay for $200 each and they work relatively well. I will eventually learn sign language as I expect the hearing loss to worsen with age. Before I got my hearing aids I was pretty good at reading lips and now I only have difficulty if the person is either standing behind me or not at least partially turned towards me. I'm sure I'd have better clarity if I had better, programmable hearing aids. My dad lost a lot of his hearing while in the Army and finally at 82 bought a pair of really nice hearing aids and for the first time can hear without us shouting. He even caught my brother and I whispering about his bad cooking last Christmas!!

I started losing my hearing in my left ear as the result of a head cold/sinus in my late twenties. By the time I was in my 40's had a hearing aid in that ear and by 50's in both. Now, even with them, I can't hear some range of voices and don't like to go to large gatherings. Love that movies come on DVD and CC as that is the only way I can watch them any more. BTW, bought a set of Oticon hearing aids 3 years ago--supposed to be the Cadillac of aids--have had nothing but problems with them. Should stayed with Beltone, although there aren't any that work worth a darn IMHO. I have found my iphone works good with or without the aids, however.

Back
Top Bottom