Anyone do Dutch Oven cooking?

CarriBrown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Jan 21, 2007
Thousand Oaks, California
My dad is getting into it. I bought a dutch oven, along with a tripod contraption, for him to use when we camp. He's used it in the coal BBQ to cook chicken wings.
Anyone have any good recipes or tips?

frow.gif
Make sure you "season" it before using it. (You probally already know that) You can make wonderful soups over the fire in them, they will simmer while you have fun! Sometimes I wrap my corn & potatoes in foil and pop them in there....

One thing we got from Boy Scouts (besides an EagleScout) is dutch oven cooking. I have cookbooks with easy recipes. If you search Boy Scouts of America sites there are lots of recipes too. Anyting in particular you want to make?

I've made some cobblers and stews in our dutch oven while camping. After using it a few times I realized it was just like crock-pot cooking, you just have to provide a constant heat (coals) to cook with. About any crock-pot recipe you can use in your dutch oven with the same success.

cobbler is excellent. congratulations on your son making rank fleenorfarm. my son also is a Eagle Scout.

Last edited:
Paula Deen has a super yummy recipe for oxtails. I had never had oxtail before and quite frankly, was a little grossed out at the idea, but every Paula recipe I've made up to that point has been so good, I figured, what the heck. Well, it really was delicious!
Here's the recipe:(You can also just use beef if you don't want oxtail)
Ingredients:
2 whole oxtails, sliced into 2-inch pieces
Paula Deen's House Seasoning (1cup salt, 1/4 cup black pepper, 1/4 cup garlic powder)
Several dashes soy sauce
2 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced into half-moons
3 to 4 bay leaves

Buttered Rice
2 cup uncooked rice
4 cup water
1 stick butter
Kosher salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Trim fat from oxtails. In a broiling pan, toss oxtails with House Seasoning and soy sauce. Top with onions and bay leaves. Add water to fill pan 1/4 of the way to the top. Cover pan with foil and bake until oxtails are tender, about 2 1/2 to 4 hours. Prepare rice according to package directions, adding butter and salt, to taste. Serve rice alongside oxtails.

Oxtails? My dad would probably like that, but I'm not sure if I would. :eek: I still haven't forgiven him for feeding me rocky mountain oysters some time ago!
gig.gif

Well, I bought him a book on different recipes and he's been reading it over. We did the chicken wings, we're going to do ranch beans for my birthday BBQ, and he wants to try chili.
redoak- You say it's like crock pot cooking? Good tip... I'll have to tell my dad that.
Parsonswife- You cook your corn and potatoes on there like you would on a BBQ? Do you fill the oven up with water or anything?

Any long cooking soup is great in a dutch oven, left directly over a low fire. Water put on the lid will keep the contents from burning. The water evaporates and keeps the whole oven at an even temperature. We've done chili, stew, split pea soup, pineapple upside down cake and cobbler. Baking is a little trickier, because you need both top and bottom heat, and to preheat the oven. My biggest problem is someplace to set the lid when I am cooking. Lots of great recipes out there on the web; just google dutch oven recipes

When we go camping, we have a tradition that all meals are cooked in the dutch oven over the camp fire. There are some great recipes out there that you can make in your dutch oven, breakfast, lunch, dinner and desserts. Just don't use soap in it to clean. Just heat water in it and everything comes off great.

One of the first meals my mom taught me to cook was a roast with potatoes and carrots, cooked in a Dutch oven. The meal always turned out great!

Back
Top Bottom