Anyone do lots of home canning/food preserving?

Here's the sweet relish recipe that I use...

Sweet Relish

6 lbs. cucumbers
4 c. onions
2 green peppers
1 red peppers

Grind/chop finely all these and mix with 1/2 c. canning salt and 2 qts. boiling water. Let stand for 1 hour. Drain well then add:
1 tsp. mustard seed
1 tsp. tumeric
16 oz. (pint) white vinegar
5 cups sugar
1 TBSP corn starch

Boil for 1/2 hour and seal in pint jars. WB for 10 minutes. Makes around 6 pints.

And here's my Bread and Butter Pickle recipe.......so yummy
tongue.png

2 1/2 lbs. cucumbers
1 lb. white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
1/4 c. pickling salt
1 1/4 c. whtie vinegar
1 c. apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 cups sugar
1 TBSP mustard seeds
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional-I don't use it)
3/4 tsp. celery seeds
1 inch sinnamone stick
6 allspice berries plus a pinch of ground allspice
6 whole cloves plus a pinch of ground cloves
1/2 tsp. turmeric

Slice cucumbers ( I usually slice thin as chips or chunk them)and place in bowl. Add the sliced onions and pckling salt. Stir well and cover with clean towel and cill for 4 hours (you may also put ice on the cucumbers as well). Rinse the cucumbers and onions thoroughly. Drain. In a 6 qt. pot place the vingar, sugar, and all of the spices. Bring to a boil. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the cucumbers and onions. Bring to a boil again. As soon as the solutions begins boiling again, use a slotted spoon to start packing into jars with the cucumbers. Leave an inch of headspace. Then fill jars with vinegar sugar syrup. Wipe the rim. WB those for 10 minutes. This makes about 5 pint jars.

so far this summer I've canned

18 pints sauerkraut
75 pints green beans
34 pints sweet corn
16 quarts pasta sauce
16 pints apples
16 quarts chicken

Canning is far from over though! Next week I'll be putting up over 100 pints of corn. When the steer & hog comes back from the butcher, there will be beef & pork to can. When the tomatillas get a bit bigger, then salsa verde.

The down side of canning is my garden suffers from lack of weeding!

You guys are great!!!! Sounds like you all have been busy, busy, busy! Mmmmm! There is nothing better than your own home grown canned veggies! I'm so jealous!!!!! We had to dismantle our huge veggie/herb bed (long story) and so I haven't canned in a few years. I've been sooooo tempted to buy at the local farmer's to can.
smile.png

Smitty's Farm :

. I've been sooooo tempted to buy at the local farmer's to can.
smile.png

I not only buy from local farmer's but if there is a great sale at the grocers (say cabbage in March), I'll buy a bunch and can.​

My garden was kind of a dud this year, enough to eat, but nothing to can. I've been making tons of freezer jam though, cant beat it for quick and easy project! Lemony blueberry nectarine is my favorite so far this year!

There is also a FACEBOOK site called

Canning, Preserving and Dehydrating Food and then there are many other urban homesteading sites and blogs out there

http://growitcookitcanit.com/ is one I like

I am new to this, too and I have been freezing most of my excess veggies and foods that I make. We have started growing veggies 2 years ago on our 1/2 acre. we also have about 30 fruit trees and lots of berries but they are all in the early stages and don't give too much to preserve. My veggies however are going crazy and I usually make lots of food and freeze the dishes so that we have them easily and readily available.

Back
Top Bottom