Anyone doctored a chicken taken by a coyote?

Cleaning it with warm water is a great way to start.
Neosporin after a few sprays of Vetericyn spray should work.
Keeping the chicken indoors away from others who can peck her and cause more injury is a good idea.
Also it will helps to keep flies away from her..the last thing you need is to have to deal with fly strike.

Adding some poultry vitamins to her diet and electrolytes will be good too.
Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 11.18.42 AM.png

probably too graphic to post
We love graphic pics !

Post it please....it will help others to see just how bad of wounds chickens can recover from.
Give me a few minutes and I will post a link for you to see a recent case that is very similar to yours.

I've not personally doctored a chicken that was attacked but we did have a duck get attacked by a raccoon.
Every bone in its wing was broken and all that was left was about an inch of flesh that the wing was hanging down.
We had to cut the wing the rest of the way off because there was no saving it and every day we washed the wound with water and peroxide and put a super antibiotic from the farm store on it (online it says not to use it on a bird you plan to eat but obviously if you want to work so hard to save something you probably don't want to eat it anyway) but the only issue we ran into was maggots. I could not believe it got infested because we bandaged it really good to keep them out, but they still got in. Fortunately constantly washing it out with peroxide killed them and would wash them out. They also removed some of the dead tissue but if it gets bad enough I believe they can kill the bird.
This experience left me believing birds are REALLY resilient and with enough attention to keeping the wound clean and antibiotic on it they can recover!
Sorry for the crazy long post, but good luck!!!!
Thank You. I also have some powder antibiotic I thought I might sprinkle on her back.

I've seen many chickens, and the occasional duck, recover fully from some very nasty wounds. The key to aiding in recovery and defending against infection is separating the victim, keeping the wound clean, and applying some type of antibiotic ointment or spray. Epsom salt dissolved in water does wonders for cleaning injured tissue. Never use hydrogen peroxide. If the wound can be soaked for roughly 10-15 minutes, that is preferable however not always feasible. If the wound can at least be wiped down liberally with the salt solution it will still help in removing infection, dirt, or any other foreign matter that doesn't belong.

If the wound is deep, you will want it to heal from the inside out. Allowing a deep wound to scab over will only trap any infection that still remains. Hence, you will want to use the salt water often to keep the wound open.

I like to apply ointment, because it's thick and stays in place, which will also help keep the wound from drying up too soon. When my chickens were injured, I was new to all of the products available for them, and honestly never really looked. I did however, have triple antibiotic ointment for my family and thought what the hay? Worked like a charm. I have yet to buy vetricyn, because I can't find it at our local farm store, and the triple antibiotic ointment has worked just fine for me. Vetricyn comes highly regarded though in the livestock community so I may get off my bum someday and get some. Who knows. :)

Good Luck with your hens recovery. I would definitely say that if nothing is broken, and she seems alert, that she will survive and make a full recovery.

Last edited:
Birds will often kill the weak. They may be your biggest threat. Keep her separated in a clean pen or crate while she heals. You'll need to watch for maggots this time of year if the wound is open. Here's to hoping for a quick recovery for your hen.

Thank You. I also have some powder antibiotic I thought I might sprinkle on her back.
The antibiotic we used was nfz wound dressing and I really think it worked wonders, we've had a lot of luck using it on animals in the past too if you're interested. I would suggest buying gloves to apply it though because it is some serious and slightly dangerous stuff! But here's my little duck with one wing! All healthy and happy and you can barely tell, it's the one on the top right!
20170729_191216.jpg

The antibiotic we used was nfz wound dressing and I really think it worked wonders, we've had a lot of luck using it on animals in the past too if you're interested. I would suggest buying gloves to apply it though because it is some serious and slightly dangerous stuff! But here's my little duck with one wing! All healthy and happy and you can barely tell, it's the one on the top right!
Why would you use it if is dangerous?
I don't understand this.

We love graphic pics !

Post it please....it will help others to see just how bad of wounds chickens can recover from.
Give me a few minutes and I will post a link for you to see a recent case that is very similar to yours.
IMG_4874.JPG
IMG_4875.JPG
IMG_4875.JPG

Back
Top Bottom