Anyone doing fermented feed for their ducks?

Great so you can pretty much feed them all fermented feed, no need to change it up by giving them dry feed.

And actually the fermented feed should contain more nutrients and vitamins than the dry feed. At least that's how it is with sauerkraut... The beneficial micro organisms that drive the fermentation process synthesize more vitamins out of what's already there. It's all readily accessable to whoever is consuming it.

Oh I forgot to ask does anyone know of a good source where I can learn about fermenting feed step by step?

Last edited:
Ahh, videos are such a relief when you've been reading for an hour! Thanks for sharing this Miss Lydia, it's nice to know that there's a no-strain method for fermenting feed.

Because most of the sources I've found say that the feed needs to be submerged in water to prevent mold growth. Sure, this is true when fermenting veggies (like cabbage into sauerkraut, etc.)... but it's unnecessary with grains when fermenting for shorter period of time. For example, consider making sourdough. For the starter, you don't want some sloppy, watery mess... you want a doughy texture. Even though the starter is not submerged in water, you'd have to leave the sourdough starter out for many many days before it started growing mold.

I think I will be using this no-strain method, I'm confident that it's safe and simple. Thanks again for sharing!

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I decided to experiment with the extra water method. It failed. I used very fine crumbles. It all fermented just fine, but it became very soupy and impossible to strain. My ducks would kind of eat it, but they shook most of it out of their beaks... haha they did not enjoy the soupiness! So I ended up adding dry feed to their soupy breakfast to change the texture, and then the ducks really liked it!

Now that I know what I know, I just "fed" my currently fermented batch with more feed to absorb the excess water, and I'll let that continue fermenting. I'll be using this dryer method from now on
big_smile.png

Last edited:
After having chickens for a few years, we had to re-home them last spring in preparation for a big move. This year we are starting a backyard flock again but with ducks this time (I'm excited!). I did FF for the chickens and was considering doing the same for the ducks. My question is do I need to wait till they are mature or can I start them out as ducklings on fermented feed?

yes i do ferment there feed. i also give them sprouts and whey. they are on grass with a small pool we move around the pasture. the sprouts, clabbered whey, duckweed and fermented feed gets the moving. (depends what i have on hand) pretty much eat pastured grass for everything else

Last edited:
Where do you get duckweed? And also what do you sprout? Trying to feed as much unprocessed as possible.

Thanks for any info!

i grow the duckweed in shallow pools. partly drying it. 70% dry. for putting up feed stop feeding close to harvest of chickens .. or ducks. cos the taste in the fat isn't as good as sunflower seeds, or oil seed pumpkins. acorns so pulp or almond pulp. but it's great for when they getting their feathers in and not really finish yet. make sure to wash the duckweed or azola a few times. i changed to this guy set up a few months ago simply cost it's a good way to seed start trees. and certain seed start
0.jpg

Hello i'm new here but i have a question that i cant seem to find an answer to .

Can i feed fermented feed to day old ducklings i haven't gotten the ducks but they will be here first part of June. I Just want to get everything setup right

Back
Top Bottom