Anyone doing fermented feed for their ducks?

I just started some fermentation last night and fed to my 30 chickens and 11 ducks this morning.

:) Then I kinda panicked and wanted to make sure the ducks are ok with it. I found this thread and appreciate the good information. Since I'm the one responsible for cleaning the kiddie pond and the sleeping cage I'm surely hoping the smell will improve.

I just started some fermentation last night and fed to my 30 chickens and 11 ducks this morning.

:) Then I kinda panicked and wanted to make sure the ducks are ok with it. I found this thread and appreciate the good information. Since I'm the one responsible for cleaning the kiddie pond and the sleeping cage I'm surely hoping the smell will improve.

Welcome to BYC, mine love the FF and it does seem to help with smell.

This is the method I like https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/no-strain-hot-water-easy-fermented-feed-method-w-video
For smell I find if I clean daily it really helps to keep the smell down.

Welcome to BYC.

Miss Lydia, I was just wondering if you still do this for your ducks? I'm interested in it if it cuts down on the poop smell.

@Miss Lydia

One more unrelated thing. If I use any of the emojis from my phone, will it transfer over to here properly? Or do I just stick with the ones that the website has.

Yep and they are doing great! They shipped on Tuesday arrived Friday morning which made me really nervous. But I made them some mash with sugar water and they perked right up. Now they are with the week older ducklings playing in my back yard while I plant bulbs. I looked at the list of everything that is poisonous to chickens and ducks. Which is almost everything in my yard.:hmm

I just started doing this and I noticed in just a few days the smell of the duck pen went from stinky to barely any smell. I had to normally clean it out everyday else the poop smell was to much. I am fermenting their normal feed and so it should remain balanced for them. I got the idea here for the fermented feed. I am curious as to any others experiences who have tried this for ducks. Seems like it should be good for them, and its not to much work although I am having to try and figure how much to give them instead of just filling a pan with pellets then taking it away at night. I notice they like it best if its not been out of the ACV/water for more then a few hours. Anyone else doing this?
I have been doing this for a couple of Winters for my Chickens/Ducks. They love it, whether an overnight soak or a week long ferment. I ferment my own food, too! I also add Diatomaceous Earth to their food for great leg development in the chix and ducks. I have a batch of 14 ducklings! I saved one old gal, Betty White, from a bad leg with DE! It is silica which Ducks lack very often. The Duck's dry food gets coated with it. All my feeds get a dose and I have a heaping tbs. a day, myself! It kills every parasite a mammal or Bird could have. Plus, my eggs come out clean and dry with thick shells. I'm in Alaska, on the Kenai Peninsula, so our winters can be brutal. Dark and long, too! There is still grass on the ground now, so everybody free ranges, including me! We are having an Indian Summer! Last one was 30 years ago. Harvest time! However, I am still gathering jars from the bars to ferment for my ducklings for their first time. A lot of Meal Worms will go in the ferment, too. . You can't make it too wet or it'll stuff up their noses. Have plenty of water nearby. Warm water is best. I ferment their maintenance pellets, cracked corn or scratch, Diatomaceous Earth gets mixed it right before consumption. I stretch with oats or barley or both. I try and get green scraps from a distributor and I sprout for them and me! Fermenting is the best thing I've ever done for my animals, including me! My hair is growing back in a previously shiny bald spot! Incredible.

Back
Top Bottom