anyone due on feb. 8th-13th??

Quote:
Hi,

I've noticed your posts about candling. I, too, am learning about it and purchased a bright little Maglight that works much better than my regular flashlight.

So far, on day 14, I'd thrown two eggs out because while they appeared to be fertilized, with a dark spot that was nearly transparent, there was not development. All my other eggs have movement, though there are a couple I'm unsure of. One egg was pushed out of the nest and when I candled it there was definitely movement inside, so I put it under a different hen. I second-guessed myself in doing this because I want to trust that the hens know what they're doing.

Has anyone had experience with a hen pushing an egg out from beneath her? Can this mean that she knows the embryo is deformed or dying/dead?

I will candle again today and check out the progress. Some of the eggs that looked like dark, unmoving masses, soon sprouted kicking feet if I waited long enough. I've also found if I position the Maglight beneath the air sac I can sometimes see the movement better.

Mine are due to hatch on the eleventh.

It's awesome!

Will your chicks be OK at those temps, even with a lamp? Sounds awful cold. I am keeping mine in the house.
Gina
smile.png

Quote:
My eggs are due to hatch either the eleventh or twelfth, so we'll be experiencing the same thing around the same time. I hope to see what happens for you. Are you going to take photos? I want to try taking photos of candling and also taking pics of the chicks development day-to-day. Last count I have thirteen of sixteen eggs as two did not develop by day thirteen.

My bf made a brooder out of an old dresser. It's awesome!

congratz mine werent due till sunday but what do you know i got a chick who pipped yesterday and is zipping as we speak she wants out lol

What were your temps? Sounds like maybe they were a bit high because this one is quite early.
I have to wait until next wednesday unless they decide to hatch early. Is this the only one that is hatching?
Yes, I hope to take pix.
Gina
smile.png

I checked a couple more of my eggs this morning and they are all kicking.

my temp were around 99 to 100 degrees i was told that bantam eggs hatch faster as there is lesser room so that is what i am thinking on this egg

you wanted pictures here is some pictures, they are kinda of blurry but here you are, this is of my first egg pipping can you see its the #7 egg
100_2442.jpg

100_2443.jpg

100_2444.jpg

How exciting to have pips already. Mine are due on Tuesday. I need to get my brooder box (basically a large plastic storage tub from Walmart) out of the workshop and dust it off.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom