Anyone else freaked out by the Emergencies/illness section?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NellaBean, Jul 22, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Every time I go in there for something, I start reading threads about birds randomly dying or getting sick and infecting every animal within a 3 mile radius...........and by the time I manage to make my escape, I expect to go outside and find every one of my birds dead, dying, handicapped, injured, sick or on their deathbed. Or all the above.

Anyone else afraid of that section?

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    It wigs me out! I feel bad for those folks but then I wonder "what the heck are doing that they are getting these diseases?" QUARANTINE QUARANTINE QUARANTINE!!!!

3. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    LOL! [​IMG]

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Yes, that section freaks me out big time, and my husband was like "What have we gotten ourselves into???" when he read it shortly after our chicks arrived. I don't know if it's the norm for something to go wrong and randomly kill your chicks/chickens, or not. I'm just crossing my fingers and trying to learn what they did wrong so I never have to post on there!

4. Jenski

Jenski Songster

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Yeah Nella, I used to jump in that topic and try to help out, but just reading over the titles is too much for me at the moment. Aaaaaagh! :eek:

5. SallyF

SallyF Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I felt the same way when I first joined and just read the recent postings on the BYC home page. It seemed that all chickens wanted to do was get attacked or get sick. Took me a while to realize that people didn't just post to say their chickens were doing fine! I vowed never to read the sections dealing with predators or diseases.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Years ago when I had chickens folks said I had the Alcatraz of chicken coops. Visitors by appointment only, bars over the windows, electric wire, all personal items left in check box, washed hands, shoes dipped in foot bath upon entering and leaving, better health care than mine. Eccentric for sure but my birds usually died of old age or congenital defect.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    As a new chicken owner, I've managed so far to get my 4 birds to 16 weeks in good health...knock on wood. And, YES, I get totally freaked out by posting of gape worm, bird pox and all those other nasty diseases, not to mention birds dropping over because of the heat...or just dropping over! It got so I would freak out whenever one of them stepped in poop. Oh! And one of the biggest freak outs is from reading about impacted crop and people who do their own surgery! OMG! So, anyway, glad to hear that I'm not the only one and I appreciate the perspective that people aren't going to post every day that their birds are well [​IMG]

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Songster

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes, it makes me nervous to read some of them but I always scan that section to see if I can help. If not, I move on. That section is priceless when you have a problem tho'.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Just exactly what you said for me too...

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Read my posts more often...I am always talking about my wonderful birds and their antics [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by