Anyone else give their excess eggs away rather than cut down on hens?

seedcorn

Songster
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
NE. IN
I've got 8 bantam hens that during the spring, summer and now fall, lay many more eggs than I can use. So, I give the excess to neighbors. Since they get to free range part of the day, their feed bill is next to nothing. Or at least that is one of many excuses to not down size.........

Now to find a couple of hens or rooster that are of better blood lines that won't cost me an arm and leg.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:

I sell, give away, and feed extras to my animals. Just depends on how many extra I have! Right now it is slim pickens for anybody else since mine are molting and not laying!!!

Quote:
What a waste. Your hens went through a lot to lay them and you toss them out. Lately I've been taking 6 to 8 dozen to the local food bank every week. They fight over who's going to get them.

Quote:
What a waste. Your hens went through a lot to lay them and you toss them out. Lately I've been taking 6 to 8 dozen to the local food bank every week. They fight over who's going to get them.

That's one opinion and good for you... But mine is that if you're feeding it to your other animals, it's not a "waste". They're not "tossed out" into the garbage or yard and left to rot. They ARE being eaten. It's a way to keep your animals healthy and cut down on your feed budget.

I have a bunch to my Mom to take to her work. I know that they will slow down during the winter, so I don't want to cut down on the number of hens.
They will also be going into their second year.

Back
Top Bottom